Versi sling sitting under lid -- move it or leave it?

Satu

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

On Saturday, I got the little A. versi sling I'd been dreaming of. I built it an enclosure with a double lid -- like this -- to allow access without destroying webbing. When I first put it in, it clambered over the leaves for a bit, but then ended up between the two lids:

I put it in there on Saturday evening and it's been sitting there ever since, so that's about 48 hours now.

I've read that arboreals' instinct is to go up, as far as they can, and it looks like Merlin has done that; my question is, should I try to introduce it to the rest of the enclosure? I'm just a little concerned that it won't find it on its own.

Please reassure a worried mother!

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. versicolor's are a strange one. It looks like it is just not used to the enclosure yet. It can take a few days to months for a T to get used to it's enclosure. Also from it's coloration, I'd say it's due for a molt too.

Satu

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that's what the chap at the shop said. Fair enough -- I'll leave it for now. I just don't want it to get stuck in there or anything, if it does start moulting.

Thanks!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Yeah, all of my Avics have done this. They came down after a couple of days and found the fake bark vertical hide.

How's the humidy in there? versi's like humidity a lot, but not overly humid.

Congrats on the new T, I can't wait for updates with colors! {D

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is the very reason I don't like those "double lid" set-ups. I've always thought what if the sling decides to set up home between the two lids?, like your one has. Just wait and see if it ventures back inside the tub and be careful opening the top lid to feed if it hasn't.

Good luck.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
This is the very reason I don't like those "double lid" set-ups. I've always thought what if the sling decides to set up home between the two lids?, like your one has. Just wait and see if it ventures back inside the tub and be careful opening the top lid to feed if it hasn't.

Good luck.
I just noticed that it was a double lid.

Satu

Arachnopeon
Yes, this looked like a good idea on paper, but I can see the problem now (obviously :p). I suspect I'll do away with the inner lid if and when the little dude moves. It has just now started wandering around a bit, so I'm hoping it'll find the opening and the leaves!

Humidity is okay, I think -- I need to get a hygrometer so I'll know for sure, but I've been misting whenever it's looked a bit dry.

Thanks for the replies!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Yes, this looked like a good idea on paper, but I can see the problem now (obviously :p). I suspect I'll do away with the inner lid if and when the little dude moves. It has just now started wandering around a bit, so I'm hoping it'll find the opening and the leaves!

Humidity is okay, I think -- I need to get a hygrometer so I'll know for sure, but I've been misting whenever it's looked a bit dry.

Thanks for the replies!
there are some good Avic. care sheet threads, just a do a search. Good luck, when it molts the colors will blow your mind my friend! :D

Satu

Arachnopeon
Just a little update -- last night, Merlin had started putting down some webbing, still between the two lids. I eventually opened it up and stuck in another leaf, as a sort of ramp from the top down into the rest of the enclosure.

This morning before I went to work, it was still sitting in the top bit and had obviously done a bit more webbing, including all over the leaf I put in. So I guess it'll come down when it's ready (hopefully before moulting -- I'm really not sure there's enough room there!), and then I'll get rid of the inner lid.

Can't wait to get home and see what it's been up to!

Edited to add:

*snorts* This is what it's been up to:

It's actually building a web over the hole. I should have shown it the plans before I built the thing!

Oh well. Leave the T be. The T knows best... *chants*

Last edited: