vermiculite substrate

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
Where can I find some vermiculite substrate? I've just about looked everywhere.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen some at the Home Depot...they're typically in the garden area where they keep the orchids and other houseplants.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's best mixed with coco-fiber for species that need higher humidity. I figure this is what your doing, OP? By itself it's not that great.

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
New idea

I am using coconut fiber (eco earth), I found that vermiculite was just too hard and it might hurt my beautiful avic versi and aic amazonica. I planted some live plants in their terrariums and I found it really helps the humidity if you put aquarium gravel underneath your substrate( This was my idea ) . We dont need to mist the terrariums that much anymore. The live plants help keep humidity high and my Avics are spinning all over the live plants more so than the artifical plants I had in there before. If anyone has any questions on how to do this please feel free to ask.

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
I am using coconut fiber (eco earth), I found that vermiculite was just too hard and it might hurt my beautiful avic versi and aic amazonica. I planted some live plants in their terrariums and I found it really helps the humidity if you put aquarium gravel underneath your substrate( This was my idea ) . We dont need to mist the terrariums that much anymore. The live plants help keep humidity high and my Avics are spinning all over the live plants more so than the artifical plants I had in there before. If anyone has any questions on how to do this please feel free to ask.
What plants are you using? I just did an enclosure for our A.avic just to try. Built a false bottom for drainage using hydroton,fiberglass screen, and then a mix of 80% ecoearth/20% vermiculite. Planted a fittonia, its living so far. I also seeded the substrate with springtails as the avic never touches the ground anyway.

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
What plants are you using? I just did an enclosure for our A.avic just to try. Built a false bottom for drainage using hydroton,fiberglass screen, and then a mix of 80% ecoearth/20% vermiculite. Planted a fittonia, its living so far. I also seeded the substrate with springtails as the avic never touches the ground anyway.

I put a UK IVY and a SNAPDRAGON in the amazonica's terrarium. I put some dark purple VIOLAS and another UK IVY in the versicolor's terrarium. I would suggest getting something with soft leafs like the snapdragon our amazonica crawls all over it. But both the versi and the amazonica have burrowed on the UK IVY. It will grow around the cage and its turning out beautifully.