Vermiculite Info Quick!

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone,
I see there are some experienced T wranglers on here, so I hope one of you can get back to me kinda quick. The question isn't urgent, but i'm setting up substrate for the first time right now. i litterally have peat moss and vermiculite right beside me.
but then, do i have vermiculite?
it doesn't look the way i thought it would; it looks like little white and green lumps. i thought it was more...soily? do i have the right stuff? if i do, what's a common ratio with verm. and peat moss?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
That's certainly verm you have :) I'm not sure on the best mix, as I don't use peat. I'm sure someone else will take over on that, though :)

-Bryan

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
terrestrial T?
I use about 75% peat, 25% verm
Arboreal...straight verm
hope that helps!

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I believe that you've gotten a G. pulchra? If so, I would probably do about 3 parts peat to 1 part verm. Should be fine.

Scott

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vermiculite is a minerial which is mined. Its can be compressed between your finger almost flat. The verm I have is kinda silver - gray in color. I've also found that my T's don't seem to like it. They seem to tiptoe around it, I think because it sticks to their feet. I've stoped useing it. I believe most people use it because it retains moisture. Peetmoss hold plenty of moisture so why spend the money on vermiculite. When I used it , the mix was 80% peet 20% verm

Ernie

Last edited:

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the quick response that I knew I could expect. I'm just trying my best to setup my fancy baby food jar for the little guy's (or gal's) arrival.
I will DEFINITLY be posting pictures for you folks to see tomorrow. You people have helped me get this far, so...
Paul

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i use 100% vermiculite.....it basically looks like little bitty pieces of mica that has been cooked to sort of separate the layers and make it compressible and abosrbent (actually that really is what vermiculite is anyway)....my spider doesnt appear to have any problems with it (G. rosea) he likes to bulldoze it around a dig in it here and there...he does spend most of his time sitting on a web pad on the vermiculite though (dont know if this is normal or maybe he doesnt like the vermiculite as much as he appears to) he definitely doesnt walk around on tippy toes or anything and i do occasionally see him bathing (i assume this is normal also)...i have been remotely considering trying out a verm/peat mix though....

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use a 50/50 mix, peat doesn't hold moisture at all relative to verm. As for whether your Ts like it or not, pretty much an academic question since the T will wind up covering everything with silk - it only makes a difference for the first two days.

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vemiculite!!!

Vermiculite sucks and i would never use it at all... im strickly a peatmoss potting soil mix person and if it is a G.Pulchra i would go with that. for its home... and as for my mix my Ts seem to love it and do very well on it.. never had a prob with it at all... ;P ;P

Attachments

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
peatmoss

:mad: hi everyone , been looking around but cant find peatmoss anywhere , a gardening work colleague told me it is no longer available in the uk:? would peat do just as well i wonder :confused:

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by schlinkey
I use good 'ole peat.. works like a charm
IME if you let peat dry out it is a bugger to rehydrate, anyone else agree/disagree?
anyway, it is for this reason I use forest bed.
Ed

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Ed,
Is it like that Bed-a-Beast stuff?? I had a friend who bought that and found the butt of a smoke in it, mmmmmm, nicotine, sorry, smoke fit.

I've been using peatmoss for years and you are right, it is hard to rehydrate, but if you're like me and only keep the old world burrowers, it's real easy to just pour water in and let the t' dig it's heart out, which most of 'em love.

For all the burrowers though, peat's got to be the best thing on the market.

Cheers,
Steve

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mixing verm with the peat helps it rehydrate better. It doesn't take much, I use about 75% peat to 25% verm.

Wade