Venus fly trap and a T?

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok... I have one venus fly trap, and since both my A. Seemani, and my fly trap need humidity, can I put both of them in the same tank? I mean if the spider is bigger then the fly trap? This will let me use the fly trap's old container for another sling(That I am saving up for :)) can I do this? Or will it eat all of my spiders food?:confused:

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Fly trap of venus

As long as crickets don't get in the fly traps mouth, they will be fine, and I don't know of any tarantulas willing to attack plants, unless they try to close on the T.s leg or something.

Venus Fly traps Rule.............

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most of my high humidity t's have one in there tank , actually good for your tank as they keep humidity up a tiny bit and get rid of those pesky fruit flys.

Oh and they wont close on a t's leg the trap is actually quite weak unless the bugs entire body is in it.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cool ill have to get Nova some plants when shes bigger ^_^

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
make sure the traps are not the size of the abdomen..
... OK i dont even know if a venus fly trap gets that big.. To hold a full grown T's abdomen...

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
... OK i dont even know if a venus fly trap gets that big.. To hold a full grown T's abdomen...
yea but i think hes saying if u have a sling mayb anyway they have quite long spems so i dont think u have to worry about ur ground welling T.s climbing up there

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Do you know if the fly trap has ever been treated w/pesticides ?? I would prolly NOT put the plant in there...:?

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha i actually had one in with my rosie years back, it was fine for a month or so, but then a cricket had eaten part of the stem and it died

thats like you waiting for your steak then a cow eating you

another bit of worthless information from my past:p

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
ok... I have one venus fly trap, and since both my A. Seemani, and my fly trap need humidity, can I put both of them in the same tank? I mean if the spider is bigger then the fly trap? This will let me use the fly trap's old container for another sling(That I am saving up for :)) can I do this? Or will it eat all of my spiders food?:confused:
The real problem I see here is that flytraps, like most carnivorous plants, need strong, full spectrum light and a waterlogged soil low in dissolved minerals. These aren't conditions in which A. seemanni thrives.

Joy

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
true............. I havent wated my venus fly trap in over a year(It died:( so I stopped) and its just now starting to grow a flower.....SO the soil isnt that wet, in fact, id say it is dry...well, im not sure if i am or not.. Ill do another thread is i do.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
also IME, my A. seemani will uproot anything i plant in its enclosure. same thing with my P. imperators, they just have no respect for my desire to create a vivarium:rolleyes: .

Alicorn700

Arachnopeon
Dont let you fly traps flower!!!

If you do keep your fly traps in with your T's do not let them flower. If they flower they will produce seeds and die. Baby traps are nearly impossible to grow from seeds. If they begin to flower simple clip the flowers back and the plant will continue to flourish. By the way if your plant does start to flower it is a sign that it is happy and thriving. Another tip is to keep it in the original container but to put some small pebbles in the bottom with some water. Then sit the pot on top of the pebbles above the water line. There is usually already holes in the top of the container already no worries there. A mini terrarium in a terrarium. This keeps very high humidity lets those pesky gnats in and keeps even the smallest T safe. Also keeps the crickets from eating the plant.

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The plant needs too much water for it to be in the same cage as the T.It will die in a short time becuase it needs near 90% water in the air and the ground needs the 3 layer system for a plant like that to grow which would be too much work to put into a T tank and the T only needs about 70% humidity.

And the plant needs light.Which the T is not going to like.

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As stated before, for a Venus Flytrap to survive it does need very wet, poor quality soil (I keep all of my potted flytraps in dishes of water). Though they can survive periods of dry soil it is not recommended. I don't think the plant itself would hurt the tarantula but tarantulas do have their own ideas as far as tank decorations go...more than likely it would just dig the plant up (or even bury it). Flytraps also need UV light to survive and lots of it. You would need to buy UV light bulbs for the tank (and as you know tarantulas are nocturnal so would not like these bulbs - a dark place to hide would be highly recommended). Another fear would be with the extra moisture needed for the Venus Fly Trap you will end up with mold problems caused by dead crickets or the moisture will attract those little gnats.