Ventral Sexing-What Size? (Example vid and pics)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Hey Mates,

So when can we start sexing slings ventrally? How big "generally" do they need to be when they are sexable?

More specifically, I have three spiderlings that i really want to sex as soon as possible. One A.versicolor and two P.metallicas. Here is a video of the undersides. It is really hard to get any picture of them during daytime so I had to shoot this with an I-phone with flash.

Any ideas at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwORS1Pdts

Here are three pictures captured directly from the video, sorry for the quality:

A.versicolor

P.metallica 1

P.metallica 2

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I haven't watched it, but I figured I'd at least embed it:

[YOUTUBE]OrwORS1Pdts[/YOUTUBE]

If the video quality is as bad as the picture quality...not sure you'll get anything that helps you, at all.

I don't mean this in a mean way.

Also...the best possible answer to your question regarding how big they have to be to (reliably) ventrally sex them...it depends on the species.

Something like P. regalis is (in my opinion) quite easy to sex ventrally at a small size (2nd-3rd instar or so), but A. versicolor is a bit more difficult for me. L. violaceopes is pretty easy...M. balfouri is not.

All based on my own opinions and experience, of course.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I haven't watched it, but I figured I'd at least embed it:

[YOUTUBE]OrwORS1Pdts[/YOUTUBE]

If the video quality is as bad as the picture quality...not sure you'll get anything that helps you, at all.

I don't mean this in a mean way.

Also...the best possible answer to your question regarding how big they have to be to (reliably) ventrally sex them...it depends on the species.

Something like P. regalis is (in my opinion) quite easy to sex ventrally at a small size (2nd-3rd instar or so), but A. versicolor is a bit more difficult for me. L. violaceopes is pretty easy...M. balfouri is not.

All based on my own opinions and experience, of course.
Thanks for the embedding. I tried it but could not figure it out for some reason.

And I expected the picture quality criticism, video is a little better but still.

I actually have a very decent semi-pro camera but the slings only show themselves during night and the plastic containers reflect most of the flash light messing the picture quality.

I believe I need to purchase a macro lens as well. My 18-135mm does not give the picture quality I like with very small slings.

Thanks for the answer about the size though, that was my main question.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What I do to regulate and also minimize the flash reflection is take a paper towel, fold it in half twice, and put it over the flash. It acts as a filter so my pictures don't get flashed out, and as I said, minimizes the reflection in the glass or plastic if I'm shooting through a tank.

babypiggy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What I do to regulate and also minimize the flash reflection is take a paper towel, fold it in half twice, and put it over the flash. It acts as a filter so my pictures don't get flashed out, and as I said, minimizes the reflection in the glass or plastic if I'm shooting through a tank.
Oh that's a good tip!!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Thanks a lot for the tip.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even though the pics suck,p.metallica#2 looks male. I swear I see the "dot"...But that could just as well be flash,as Joe mentioned.....

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Ok, the metallicas molted a couple of times and this is the best picture I got today. I do not want to disturb the spider as it recently molted.

creepa

Arachnoknight
You can start at nymphe 1 or 2...., with baking powder mixed with water you can anesthetize the spider, and with a binocular you can do the ventral sexing at a verry small stage...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can start at nymphe 1 or 2...., with baking powder mixed with water you can anesthetize the spider, and with a binocular you can do the ventral sexing at a verry small stage...
This is also not recommended.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
C'mon... spiderlings of some species can be sexed with a stereo microscope, but there is no need to "anesthetize" them.:wall:

creepa

Arachnoknight
This is also not recommended.
He asked ad what size you can start sexing ventrally, and i gave an awnser.
If i recommend that is an other question...;)

C'mon... spiderlings of some species can be sexed with a stereo microscope, but there is no need to "anesthetize" them.:wall:
This can give breeders a 100% gaurantee to sell sexed spiders, something that can be usefull for costomers looking for a male or female:rolleyes: