Ventral sexing poecilotheria

Soupbone

Arachnopeon
Now maybe this can be interesting for you guys too. These pictures are taken from sibling poecilotheria Metallica. I am not sure if they are of different sex, since both are still very young ( maybe 2inch LS, same molt count ).

However the coloration of their genital area is vastly different. It may be a good way of sexing Metallica early?

I believe this one might be female (also a rectangle but lighter coloration)

image.jpeg

This one to be male (notice very dark rectangle)

image.jpeg

True connaisseurs are welcome to confirm it is possible to sex Metallica early like this and if these are of different gender? Maybe the difference in color is because of an imminent molt? Sorry for my English.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I have read here that even out of the Pokies, which are notoriously difficult to ventrally sex with much accuracy, that the metallica is the most difficult out of all of them. I'd love to hear some more input on this, since I'm itching to determine the sex of my juvie Pmet...

EDIT: disregard this comment; see the replies for correct info

Last edited:

Soupbone

Arachnopeon
Me too obviously. For reference i'll post these two together. If not for sexing purpose it might be for others interesting to know how to look for close-to-molting OW t's and the same t that is not yet ready to. Dark one is closer to molt.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sana

Arachnoprince
My poecs are honestly the easiest tarantulas to sex ventrally of any that I have worked with so far. I'm on my cell phone so I don't have a good look at your pictures just now but I'll look when I get home and see if I can be helpful.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Too blurry to be accurate. Try to get them on a glass surface that isn't full of scratches. And @Moonohol pokies are some of the easiest to vent sex lol.
I've got to agree here. I assumed it was my phone screen making things difficult for me but honestly a clearer picture would help a lot. It's possible that @Poec54 could give you some insight given his multitude of experience with the genus.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Too blurry to be accurate. Try to get them on a glass surface that isn't full of scratches. And @Moonohol pokies are some of the easiest to vent sex lol.
That's good to know! Like I said, I'd just read a few different sexing threads on here where most people seemed to agree that they are difficult to sex--I'm glad to hear the opposite is true, though.

EDIT: just so I can contribute something, here's a quick one I snapped of my ~1.25" DLS P. metallica
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have read here that even out of the Pokies, which are notoriously difficult to ventrally sex with much accuracy, that the metallica is the most difficult out of all of them. I'd love to hear some more input on this, since I'm itching to determine the sex of my juvie Pmet...

Don't know where you heard that. Poecs are one of the easiest genera to vent sex, as they have short fur. That's not to say every species is easy at every size. I attempt to sex mine at 2", and in most cases it's easy (I don't try to sex them smaller than that). Adult females can be vent sexed from across the room when they're on the side of their cage: they have wide, white shiny lips that are very obvious. In between those sizes, the ease of sexing varies by species. For me regalis are easy to sex as juveniles, but less so as subadults. Young fasciata are harder for me to sex than regalis. I haven't had metallica slings for a couple years, so I'm not going to take a guess on this thread. It's often easier in person, as you can rotate the cup (32 oz deli cup) and see it from different angles.

The way I learned was looking at pics in lots of sexing threads, and checking my spiders. Keep doing that and it'll start to make sense.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Don't know where you heard that. Poecs are one of the easiest genera to vent sex, as they have short fur. That's not to say every species is easy at every size. I attempt to sex mine at 2", and in most cases it's easy (I don't try to sex them smaller than that). Adult females can be vent sexed from across the room when they're on the side of their cage: they have wide, white shiny lips that are very obvious. In between those sizes, the ease of sexing varies by species. For me regalis are easy to sex as juveniles, but less so as subadults. Young fasciata are harder for me to sex than regalis. I haven't had metallica slings for a couple years, so I'm not going to take a guess on this thread. It's often easier in person, as you can rotate the cup (32 oz deli cup) and see it from different angles.

The way I learned was looking at pics in lots of sexing threads, and checking my spiders. Keep doing that and it'll start to make sense.
You know, now that I went back and looked for threads where I read that, I couldn't find any! :rolleyes: I did find some threads with very helpful photographs, however. I think my metallica is still a bit too small to get a read on, but I am leaning towards male based on the photos I grabbed. Thanks for the info!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, practice makes perfect. There is a constant stream of photographs at the top of the forum - about half are sexing pictures, and most of those are ventral shots. Go in there, don't read any comments, and see if you can guess the gender. Then match your answer to the general consensus. You'll have a constant stream of new photographs to practice on, all of varying clarity and species. That's how I learned.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Agreed, practice makes perfect. There is a constant stream of photographs at the top of the forum - about half are sexing pictures, and most of those are ventral shots. Go in there, don't read any comments, and see if you can guess the gender. Then match your answer to the general consensus. You'll have a constant stream of new photographs to practice on, all of varying clarity and species. That's how I learned.

Same here. Repetition is the key. But keep in mind no one's 100% at it.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
P. formosa is probably the hardest to sex ventrally, followed by P. metallica. I don't even attempt P. metallica until they are at least 3".

Here's a pic of two 3" P. formosa from my communal. One is male and the other female. Can you tell which is which? ;)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
P. formosa is probably the hardest to sex ventrally, followed by P. metallica. I don't even attempt P. metallica until they are at least 3".

Here's a pic of two 3" P. formosa from my communal. One is male and the other female. Can you tell which is which? ;)
I'm casting my vote... the top one is male!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Geez, on other Poec species, those big white vent lips are female. I've got a few formosa girls, haven't had a male in a while, but I vent sexed him correctly, somehow. May have been pure luck.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Im still learning an the advice given is how i am practicing.
I watch for pics of ppl requesting a vent sex, i form my opinion, i type my answer and why i think so (or what i think i see) then read comments to see if in correct.

Soupbone

Arachnopeon
I am voting the one underneath is male. Darker coloration and longer hair/legs. You cant see it when you only look at the private parts. My guess anyway

Burchling

Arachnopeon
@advan wow you aren't kidding. I'm just purely guessing, but top female and bottom male. Even if that is correct, I see what you mean. I wouldn't give somebody my word on ventral sexing that, ha.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Bottom is the male top is the female in advans pics..

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Now maybe this can be interesting for you guys too. These pictures are taken from sibling poecilotheria Metallica. I am not sure if they are of different sex, since both are still very young ( maybe 2inch LS, same molt count ).

However the coloration of their genital area is vastly different. It may be a good way of sexing Metallica early?

I believe this one might be female (also a rectangle but lighter coloration)

View attachment 218521

This one to be male (notice very dark rectangle)

View attachment 218522

True connaisseurs are welcome to confirm it is possible to sex Metallica early like this and if these are of different gender? Maybe the difference in color is because of an imminent molt? Sorry for my English.
Hard to tell from those pics but I believe the top pic is a female and the bottom is a male. Not the best pics though..

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's good to know! Like I said, I'd just read a few different sexing threads on here where most people seemed to agree that they are difficult to sex--I'm glad to hear the opposite is true, though.

EDIT: just so I can contribute something, here's a quick one I snapped of my ~1.25" DLS P. metallica
View attachment 218537
I suspect that one is male.. Its tiny though so not much more than a guess.