Ventilation

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with instead of poking holes in the deli cup or container just opening the lid every day or other day etc.? Do you think that would work?
Thanks
Stephen

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with instead of poking holes in the deli cup or container just opening the lid every day or other day etc.? Do you think that would work?
Thanks
Stephen
Why risk the possibility of an escape?

A constant supply of fresh air seems like a better idea. Just poke some holes.

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
No the real reason is because I found these nice jar like containers at my local store. The tops are like aluminum and I could make holes or cut and put in screen, but was just wondering if opening it up everyday would suffice.

Stephen

Rob1985

This user has no status.
many sling and juvies need cross ventilation. Only opening the lid every couple of days would promote mold growth and inconstancies in humidity and temp. :wall:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
You would be fine with a large vent hole with some screen on the top. As long as you dont over water the substrate and clean up dead stuff it shouldnt mold. Make sure there are no sharp ends on the inside your spider can get caught on. I use 50 dram vials with the whole lid turned into a vent.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i raised an Avicularia versicolor from 3rd molt to adult and most of the containers have holes only on the lid.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No the real reason is because I found these nice jar like containers at my local store. The tops are like aluminum and I could make holes or cut and put in screen, but was just wondering if opening it up everyday would suffice.

Stephen
I just poke holes in the top of metal jars with a hammer and nail or better yet a bb gun.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I just poke holes in the top of metal jars with a hammer and nail or better yet a bb gun.
If you do this you need to make sure the holes are small enough. Poke from the inside so the sharp ponits are on the outside. If the holes are too big and it sticks its legs through it wont be pretty to say the least.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you do this you need to make sure the holes are small enough. Poke from the inside so the sharp ponits are on the outside. If the holes are too big and it sticks its legs through it wont be pretty to say the least.
Ya I'm careful with all the sharp edges. What did you mean about it would not be pretty if it stuck it's legs out.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
If you poke holes, the opposite side you poked from will be sharp. If the holes are too big it can stick its legs out and possibly injure its self. I would just get some metal screen and hot glue it in so its fail proof.

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
Thats what I am going to do. Get some screen and just cut a space out and glue it there. Thanks for all the help guys.

Stephen

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Make sure that the screen is made of strong metal mesh not plastic or nylon as older T's can easily shred lighter material.

Ollie

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
If it's only gonna be in the jaras a sling, you could cut out most of the center of the lid and hotglue a peice of cut-out T-shirt over the hole. That is, if you don't have the right type of screen on hand. You would want to thoroughly rinse and dry(blowdryer is good) the lid once or twice a week though to prevent bacteria from building up in the cotton from the humidity in the sling jar.
If you wanna get ghetto, You could even rubber band a cut peice of T-shirt to the top of the jar too, but it might be kind of a hassle to get in there if your sling is resting under the cloth.
Hammering a bunch of holes(from the bottom of the lid) would work just fine too- just make sure you use those really small nails, the same kind you hang small pictures with.

Just make sure to get some kind of ventilation in there. Opening the lid once or twice every day just isnt sufficient. I mean, the T would probably get enough oxygen to live, but it would be inviting a whole host of problems, pecifically mold and fungus & just isnt worth it.

What kind of T is it btw & how big?