Ventilation techniques

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Hello all! I just wanted to ask any and all about your ventilation techniques and what you have found to work the best. Obvisouly this is not rocket science, but I'd love to hear any and all opinions about how you go about giving your T proper ventilation. Thanks!

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I either burn holes with a soldering iron, or drill them. Depends on the type of plastic, new types of containers generally have a couple trial/error holes.

Some plastics are too brittle to get a clean hole with drilling alone, some gunk up too much being burned alone. I've also found some plastics melt readily when drilled too quickly, and coat the drill bit such that it turns to trash.

So I typically drill first, and then if the edges are rougher than I like, I smooth it out with the soldering iron. Placement and spacing is just whatever I feel seems appropriate at the time.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
For more arid dryer species, I prefer top ventilation. For species that prefer a more “humid” (using that term lightly) or moisture dependent environment, I do side ventilation. For avics or arboreal species, I do side and top ventilation to maximize airflow.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
I cut mine on a routing table. I do lots of holes. Seems to work. Cross and top ventilation is best if you can do it
View attachment 363780
Ah yes, I'll take on of those with a side of fries! All jokes aside, that is pretty awesome.

For more arid dryer species, I prefer top ventilation. For species that prefer a more “humid” (using that term lightly) or moisture dependent environment, I do side ventilation. For avics or arboreal species, I do side and top ventilation to maximize airflow.
Okay. So far I have had all success doing simular.
I either burn holes with a soldering iron, or drill them. Depends on the type of plastic, new types of containers generally have a couple trial/error holes.

Some plastics are too brittle to get a clean hole with drilling alone, some gunk up too much being burned alone. I've also found some plastics melt readily when drilled too quickly, and coat the drill bit such that it turns to trash.

So I typically drill first, and then if the edges are rougher than I like, I smooth it out with the soldering iron. Placement and spacing is just whatever I feel seems appropriate at the time.
Any experiences with the acrylic display boxes?

Thanks everybody!

You can build a Euro-style type enclosure, they have a pretty good passive ventilation, that you can inprove with active fans.

View attachment 363781
View attachment 363782
This is catching my eye! Great stuff that looks so nice, I really like it. I'm excited to work on enclosures almost as much as I am to watch my T's grow.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Ah yes, I'll take on of those with a side of fries! All jokes aside, that is pretty awesome.
I design retail displays for a living. If you've ever gone shopping, you have seen my work. I literally am everywhere.
We fabricate on-site so I have lots of great machines at my disposal

there are 2 issues with acrylic boxes, 1) they expand and contract (warp) with changes in humidity. 2) gluing them so they come out super clean is an acquired skill. I have some new material I am playing with that provides corner pieces
so I may be able to build glue free, collapsable units.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
I design retail displays for a living. If you've ever gone shopping, you have seen my work. I literally am everywhere.
We fabricate on-site so I have lots of great machines at my disposal
Awesome! I was actually going to ask if your company made enclosures, so cool to know! Thanks for making the homes of our favorite 8-legged friends!

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
I drill most everything, my plastic and my glass. Takes practice and caution. (And the understanding that it might break)

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Any experiences with the acrylic display boxes?

Thanks everybody!
Like amac boxes? If so yes, not my favorite but they work. Drill slowly as they crack easily, at least the ones I've used.

Increase drill bit size gradually to reduce cracking risk. Melting the type of acrylic they use is awful, so I'd avoid it unless there's any super jagged edges. This plastic isn't the most malleable, and offputs a lot of gas.

I stick to mostly side vents but I always put at least 1-4 in the top.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
This is catching my eye! Great stuff that looks so nice, I really like it. I'm excited to work on enclosures almost as much as I am to watch my T's grow.
They are easier to make than they look. You only have to take some extra precautions, like choosing the correct plants that suits best your T, substrate, lighting... this is the most important part, getting all the information you can. You can build a full setup for less than 60$. Glass is very cheap and durable, and you can source it from any local glazier.

The blueprint that I posted can be modified to any size, but respecting the decimals. It's made out of 4mm glass panels. A *.2 means that that glass panel overlaps with two more panels and a *.6 with one.

For small specimens I would use a cheap enclosure, like amac boxes or aliexpress enclosures and when they reach a good size move them to a good proper enclosure. You can keep them in a bigger enclosure but you have to provide them hiding places, burrows... etc so they can't feel vulnerable. Also feeding is going to be more difficult, as the feeders will have more spots to hide. If the enclosure is a vivarium, the T can feed from the isopods etc while is small, so there isn't going to be so much problem.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Awesome! I was actually going to ask if your company made enclosures, so cool to know! Thanks for making the homes of our favorite 8-legged friends!
We mostly build retail displays, trade show displays and fine art photography. I make T Lids out of the scrap for fun. I am prototyping a full spicy arboreal set up though soon. If you've ever been in a Target, Wall Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Fry's, Petco, Sephora, Ulta, Chipotle, Oath Pizza or Costco you've seen something I have worked on.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
you should see my printers
I just drooled a little.
We're all jealous of your machinery. (Originally I wrote the word equipment, but that didn't sound right)
Any plans to build any enclosures for sale or perhaps cutom lids?

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I just drooled a little.
We're all jealous of your machinery. (Originally I wrote the word equipment, but that didn't sound right)
Any plans to build any enclosures for sale or perhaps cutom lids?
I am guessing I will have the lids in the classifieds at some point. Probably @ first I will do as I am, which is building them for existing Glass / Mesh Lid Terrariums as replacements. I need to make sure the edges won't cut anybody, so I may flame polish but that drives up the price. I may expand to custom orders at some point. I have ideas for an arboreal enclosure I am going to prototype. If all goes as planned and it does what it's supposed to I will see where that goes. I think folks will dig them, for their features

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I drill all of mine or use a push pin.

I have access to drill press and other machinery but hey im just a hobbyist not a professional, lol.