Ventilation in Sterilite

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello,

I've finally got a shiny new sterilite container that is large enough for my sub-adult female LP but will still fit on one of my shelves. It's a 24x15x11. She has never used a hide, but I'll try and give her one just in case.

How do you put holes in these? I'm considering a soldering iron and my drill. The soldering iron is certainly faster but might not look as nice.

Also, do you think this should be enough ventillation? I'll be "drilling" where the grid lines meet every half inch.
20161126_234725~01.jpg

Thank you for your time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use a drill for the reason you mentioned re a soldering iron. I hate messy looking holes. Honestly, even a hand drill takes a few seconds per hole. You won't be saving yourself that much time.

On the grid, I would actually spread the holes further apart. I measure the length and divide by 4 or 5 usually. They don't need that much O2. If you need more holes to keep them drier etc, add more holes or another row.

Remember when you cluster holes together like that, it weakens the structural integrity in that region. That's why I spread them out. When I move my containers they get a bit banged etc. so I like them not to break.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
When I move my containers they get a bit banged etc. so I like them not to break.
You're such a klutz.........:rolleyes:
Agree with spacing the holes in row or two for the reason you've stated.
I use a dremel to drill small diameter holes, very quick and clean. Hand drill for anything over 5/16" diameter.
I get nauseated from the fumes when using a hot iron.

cold blood

Staff member
I just punch holes with a drill. Sometimes I use a 1/4", sometimes 5/16, but the one I use most is right between them...must be metric because I can't find the size for it, but its just the right size for putting crickets and superworms through. I put 4-6 holes on the lid, depending on the size enclosure.

This is both a terrestrial and an arboreal (ignore the mess, avics are filthy animals;))

Attachments

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just punch holes with a drill. Sometimes I use a 1/4", sometimes 5/16, but the one I use is right between them...must be metric because I can't find the size for it, but its just the right size for putting crickets and superworms through. I put 4-6 holes on the lid, depending on the size enclosure.

This is both a terrestrial and an arboreal (ignore the mess, avics are filthy animals;))
This is basically what I do.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use a drill for the reason you mentioned re a soldering iron. I hate messy looking holes. Honestly, even a hand drill takes a few seconds per hole. You won't be saving yourself that much time.

On the grid, I would actually spread the holes further apart. I measure the length and divide by 4 or 5 usually. They don't need that much O2. If you need more holes to keep them drier etc, add more holes or another row.

Remember when you cluster holes together like that, it weakens the structural integrity in that region. That's why I spread them out. When I move my containers they get a bit banged etc. so I like them not to break.
I've always just used acrylic where structurally, holes were never a contributing factor. Thanks for bringing that up!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just punch holes with a drill. Sometimes I use a 1/4", sometimes 5/16, but the one I use most is right between them...must be metric because I can't find the size for it, but its just the right size for putting crickets and superworms through. I put 4-6 holes on the lid, depending on the size enclosure.

I see, we'll that's far fewer than i had originally planned, but I was also using a 5/32 (?) bit. I suppose I shouldn't worry about her escaping through a 1/4" or even 5/8" hole really.