Ventilation for Sling Enclosure?

Alchemax

Arachnopeon
Hi!!!
I am getting my first tarantula in two days! I'm very excited! Thanks to a lot of helpful people on AB, and to the wonderful breeder I am buying from, (and after a buttload more research,) I settled on a bumba cabocla sling as my first T!
The tarantula itself is a sling, I don't have an exact measurement but he's on the larger side, maybe over an inch by just a bit is my guess.
I haven't seen very many photos of "DIY" sling enclosures. I'm using a wide mouth mason jar, 16oz. We have a drill and have already made a bunch of holes in the lid for ventilation. I would really appreciate any feedback on the enclosure itself, but most importantly of all of them, feedback on the ventilation, as that's what I'm least sure of! (Finding DIY sling enclosures with the lid showing has been harder than expected!) I would very much like second opinions just because I am one of those people who panics in preparation and has to make sure everything is 100% perfect beforehand, lol.
Thanks everyone for any help!

Just in case anyone has extra questions (which I'm sure there will be)--
-the tarantula is a bumba cabocla, sling
-there are two and a half inches of substrate in this jar
-the lid is a screw-on plastic lid
-I have two more larger enclosures coming in for as it grows, both are acrylic with cross ventilation
-the sling is about an inch or slightly larger than an inch based on the photo I received; I can show the photo here:

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
Ventilation is fine, but the holes look too big. It's hard to tell without seeing the sling in person but if the carapace can fit through so can the whole spider. I prefer plastic deli cups.

Alchemax

Arachnopeon
Ventilation is fine, but the holes look too big. It's hard to tell without seeing the sling in person but if the carapace can fit through so can the whole spider. I prefer plastic deli cups.
Hmm, okay, gotcha-- I'm meeting the breeder at a reptile/invert pet shop, so there might be something else I can use as a lid, if not a similar sized enclosure. The holes are actually pretty small, but I haven't seen the sling myself in person. If we have a smaller drill head I will definitely do that.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
I know mason jars have been used in this hobby for awhile in the past, but many people will tell you that they will not provide enough ventilation. I love mason jars and use them for tons of projects, but without hole going down the side a few inches (like drilling into the glass) you could risk having too much stale air. Mold loves stale air. Just my 2 cents, I'm still very much a noob to arachnids.

cold blood

Staff member
I use 16oz deli cups, right about the same size as what you are using.....my ventilation is pin holes, that I run through with a toothpick.

Don't worry about the amount of ventilation, slings, in general, don't require a lot of venting, in fact for a lot of them, less is better...too much and enclosures dry out too fast, which isn't ideal for slings that shouldn't be kept dry for long periods.

I will say, I avoid screw on type tops, I see it as an unnecessary risk as they can get caught as they are being screwed on....but its not like you cant use them...just be careful when closing it.

Alchemax

Arachnopeon
I know mason jars have been used in this hobby for awhile in the past, but many people will tell you that they will not provide enough ventilation. I love mason jars and use them for tons of projects, but without hole going down the side a few inches (like drilling into the glass) you could risk having too much stale air. Mold loves stale air. Just my 2 cents, I'm still very much a noob to arachnids.
I use 16oz deli cups, right about the same size as what you are using.....my ventilation is pin holes, that I run through with a toothpick.

Don't worry about the amount of ventilation, slings, in general, don't require a lot of venting, in fact for a lot of them, less is better...too much and enclosures dry out too fast, which isn't ideal for slings that shouldn't be kept dry for long periods.

I will say, I avoid crew on type tops, I see it as an unnecessary risk as they can get caught as they are being screwed on....but its not like you cant use them...just be careful when closing it.
Okay, thank you to both of you! I will be super duper sure that everything is safe if I screw on the cap. I don't have any deli cups at my house currently, and what with ...the world, I'll stick with this mason jar and probably pick up another small enclosure when I meet up at the pet store if need be.
Seems like there are vaguely conflicting responses here on the ventilation of a mason jar... I'll keep an eye out for mold. Thank you everyone for the advice.

cold blood

Staff member
Seems like there are vaguely conflicting responses here on the ventilation of a mason jar
Not exactly, gurantula is correct, because only the top can be ventilated, you cant get good air movement through them, so they aren't a good choice for a lot of species...like I would never keep an A. avic sling in one....but for ts kept dry, or NW terrestrial slings, this isn't really an issue. So its fine here, just because of the current situation.

Alchemax

Arachnopeon
Not exactly, gurantula is correct, because only the top can be ventilated, you cant get good air movement through them, so they aren't a good choice for a lot of species...like I would never keep an A. avic sling in one....but for ts kept dry, or NW terrestrial slings, this isn't really an issue. So its fine here, just because of the current situation.
Ohh, okay, got it. Thank you for the clarification. Good to know for any possible future Ts too.