Ventilation A. Metallica

Rasputin666

Arachnopeon
Its hard because its glass.. Only thing i could do would be bigger holes in the metal.

Rasputin666

Arachnopeon
I got some of these. Were meant for my slings but its way too big for them. If i drill some holes at the sides and top would it be enough?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
better....in the future, concentrate venting on the sides....ideally the top should actually have less venting.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@cold blood sorry to disagree my friend, but these enclosures are used all over Europe for Avics without trouble.

@Rasputin666 you can use the first enclosure just make sure you don't block any of the vents with plants or substrate

Rasputin666

Arachnopeon
@cold blood sorry to disagree my friend, but these enclosures are used all over Europe for Avics without trouble.

@Rasputin666 you can use the first enclosure just make sure you don't block any of the vents with plants or substrate
Well i already rehoused her.. but i guess i could take the other one for a new T... anyways thanks both of you for the helpful advices:)

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
Glass is nice but plastic is easier to work with if you buy a diamond bit you can drill glass but the key to drilling plastic and glass is to let the drill do the work

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I disagree. This is a standard tank design used in Europe. They have been used successfully for quite a while. This is the design ExoTerra's are based off of. Ventilation the lower front, and venting on top.

cold blood

Staff member
I disagree. This is a standard tank design used in Europe. They have been used successfully for quite a while. This is the design ExoTerra's are based off of. Ventilation the lower front, and venting on top.
Those have the top ventilated as well as the band i see here, i agree those are just fine....Maybe im off base, but i dont see any ventilation aside from that metal band.

OP, if that does have ventilation on top as well, then its just fine....I saw none (i am on my phone), which is why i said it wasnt enough.

I apologise for the confusion if that original one does have venting at the top.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those have the top ventilated as well as the band i see here, i agree those are just fine....Maybe im off base, but i dont see any ventilation aside from that metal band.
You are correct. That's the design. I'll admit when I first saw it, I didn't think it would work. But after looking at a variety of European users, and talking to them- they work, that's the "glass cubes" we all refer to. They are cheap, can be had for as little as 5$ too.

I'm not so sure Avics need as much as ventilation as we think they do. I've raised my AF minatrix since she was a sling in AMAC boxes. One had only 2 vents, and the other container had a lot of holes. She's thrived in both. I always give a lot of holes as you know just to be safe.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

OP, if that does have ventilation on top as well, then its just fine....I saw none (i am on my phone), which is why i said it wasnt enough.

I apologise for the confusion if that original one does have venting at the top.
You are correct. That's the design. I'll admit when I first saw it, I didn't think it would work. But after looking at a variety of European users, and talking to them- they work, that's the "glass cubes" we all refer to. They are cheap, can be had for as little as 5$ too.

I'm not so sure Avics need as much as ventilation as we think they do. I've raised my AF minatrix since she was a sling in AMAC boxes. One had only 2 vents, and the other container had a lot of holes. She's thrived in both. I always give a lot of holes as you know just to be safe.
It has two 'strips' of holes, one on top and one on the front. These strips are solid metal, not mesh or something, and are, depending on size of the enclosure, usually 3 to 4 cm wide and run along the width of the pane of glass where it is located.
The theory behind the placement of these strips is that warm air rises and so the front strip sucks in fresh air as the warm air rises out the top strip.
It becomes problematic when people put substrate against the front strip, or have something blocking the top strip, the ventilation cycle stops and one will have a very dead Avic very soon. All the top Dutch and Belgium breeders I know keep Avics and their cousins in these enclosures. They are easy to clean, fairly cheap and last very long. Unless you manage to drop the freakin front panel of course... :bucktooth:
But even then it's just a question of ordering a glass panel and you're set to go :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It has two 'strips' of holes, one on top and one on the front. These strips are solid metal, not mesh or something, and are, depending on size of the enclosure, usually 3 to 4 cm wide and run along the width of the pane of glass where it is located.
The theory behind the placement of these strips is that warm air rises and so the front strip sucks in fresh air as the warm air rises out the top strip.
It becomes problematic when people put substrate against the front strip, or have something blocking the top strip, the ventilation cycle stops and one will have a very dead Avic very soon. All the top Dutch and Belgium breeders I know keep Avics and their cousins in these enclosures. They are easy to clean, fairly cheap and last very long. Unless you manage to drop the freakin front panel of course... :bucktooth:
But even then it's just a question of ordering a glass panel and you're set to go :D
Yes that's how I knew the air flow to be. I had to look it up many years ago when I first bought an ExoTerra.

cold blood

Staff member
I simply missed the top ventilation completely.