ventialtion and substrate question

S

schlinkey

i've got an aquarium as a home for my spider, and as a lid i use the one that came with it (glass"plate"). but i'm a bit concerned about my spider getting enought air! i dont want it to sufficate in there... there are two open triangles in the corners of the aquarium wich i covered with plastictriangles full of holes, but is this enough?

any idea what else i could use as a lid?

ps: what is peat moss? can't seem to find the right norwegian word for it.. got some lizardbark in my aquarium but i think the spider hates it.. pottingsoil and peatmoss is what is reccomended the most.. but i need to know what exactly peat moss is

cheers

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Peat moss is compressed, decomposed sphagnum moss. It's generally dug up from peat bogs. Any nursery/gardening store should carry it. Don't know if you have any in your area, but you can always try home improvement stores with a gardening section, such as Home Depot or Lowes. You can also try a K-mart or Wal-mart if you have one in your area.

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Also in regards to your T getting enough air. What you have should be fine. I have many of my slings in little pill vials with only one or two pinholes for air and they're doing fine. T's are very passive breathers. In other words, they don't move as much oxygen as you or I would. They have very slow metabolisms and don't need as much as we do.

Scott