Vent hole question

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all, I have 3 N.Colloratovillosus that have all just recently molted and are feeding again. I would like to move them to there final homes. So heres the question. I use plexiglass tops with 1/4" vent holes. The 3 ts are about 3" - 3-1/4" legspan. The carapace measures just short or 1/2" in width. So 1/4" vent hole 1/2" carapace.... Does the carapace have any flex to it at all or is it completely rigid? If its rigid then im guessing that the little critters cant squeeze thru the much smaller hole.

Am I correct? :?

Thnx for the input :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
there is some flex, but i don't think that much

did you make the tops yourself? you could always go to 1/8" holes and not have to worry.

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thnx for the reply, yes they are home made tops. And the holes are allready done. I actually made three identical tanks like this over a year ago..lol Been waiting for stuff to grow up so I can finally make good use of them ;)

I think i will put a secondary top over it for a couple days just to make 100% sure incase something goes wrong :cool:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thnx for the reply, yes they are home made tops. And the holes are allready done. I actually made three identical tanks like this over a year ago..lol Been waiting for stuff to grow up so I can finally make good use of them ;)

I think i will put a secondary top over it for a couple days just to make 100% sure incase something goes wrong :cool:
i wouldn't exactly be worried about the spiders escaping via those holes... i would be more worried about the little idiots *trying* to escape and getting wedged. but even then.... that's a tiny tiny chance of happening.... but better safe than sorry.

i just had a spider lose a foot (and then molt and apparently get it back a month later) from bad caging, so safer is definitely better than sorry

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good thought about the loosing a limb. Since the holes are pretty good size i dont think they can really get themselfes pinned ::fingers crossed:: Im just gonna move one for now, do the secondary top, and see how it goes b4 I put anyone else in danger. Hopeing that it doesnt roam to much and just starts digging. That would be the ideal situation ;)

I'll let ya know how it goes, ill move him/her tomorrow.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you can even make holes the size of pinheads, but of course you would put more in

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... I use plexiglass tops with 1/4" vent holes. ...
A bigger problem may be that the Plexiglas may warp from the higher humidity and temperature in the cage, allowing the little beggars to literally waltz out the edges. If it looks like it's beginning to warp you'll have to do something to reinforce it before you have any tarantulas escape.

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Moved the first one yesterday. Settled in quite nice and moved right into the premade burrow. Nibbled on a cricket last night and was in the burrow when I got up this morning. Going to leave the secondary top on the tank for a few days just to be sure but all seems to fine.

Pikaia - The plexi is attached to a 3/4"x1-1/4" mahogany frames to prevent the warp.