Venomous T bite...

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Well, I just got to thinking if I'm allergic to bees and there may be a good chance I'm allergic to tarantula venom, how bad do you think the effects would be if I got bite by a pokie or something else with fairly potent venom. I do take EXTREME precaution with all of my T's, but there is always that possibility of being tagged.

Just curious what you guys had to say. I'm not "afraid" of my T's, just don't know if I could die from them or not. :D I have seen a few posts from RobC regaurding an Ornata and Regalis bite and it seemed pretty bad, at least to the point of going to the ER... If that's what happens to someone not allergic, what do you think would happen to someone that is?

Has anyone allergic to venom ever experienced a bite and what exactly happened?

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There was just a thread on this. While everybody will react a little differently to tarantula venom, instances of anyone actually being allergic to it are negligable to non-existant. Many people have varying allergic reactions to urticating bristles, but not the venom. So, no anaphylaxia (sp?) for you. Yaay! That info is a short-form of the info that Stan Schultz posted in the thread I mentioned. For the complete version, look at the thread "What if I turn out to be allergic to my G. Rosea?" or something like that.

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah there's a similar thread regarding the use of an epi-pen.

I'm allergic to bees, but keep 25 tarantulas. The urticating hairs have never bothered me ... thought I had a reaction when I first got T's but turns out it was something else that I reacted to :) so Yaay for me.
Allergies to one venom does not necessarily mean automatic allergies to other venoms, from what I understand.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
woops, didn't see that one come through :8o sorry yall... Let this one die I suppose :eek:

at least I don't have to worry too much bout it though :D

widowmaker03

Arachnopeon
I dont remember you being allergic to bee stings... Or maybe you did get puffy after the attack of 1,000 bumbles. Either way, your allergic reactions are very minor tater. I just wish my wife wasn't allergic to the sight of spiders :p

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
yea, well I am "apparently" allergic to them from what mom has told me... lol, haven't been stung since I was like 6 or 7 so dont really remember all to much. Yea, we need to get her to be not afraid of them. Maybe put one in your bed with you so she can get used to them that way ;) hehehe

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tell your mom not to worry. The chemical composition of tarantula venom (ALL of them) makes their bites innately hypoallergenic. There is less than a 0.0001% chance of anyone having an allergic reaction to tarantula venom, even if they are already allergic to bee venom. The venoms are THAT different.

Here's why: most venoms are made up of proteins dissolved in a liquid matrix. Proteins are large molecules, generally speaking, and are easy for your immune system to "detect" and react to. But tarantula venom is made of peptides dissolved in a liquid matrix--and peptides are the building blocks of proteins. As such, the peptides are waaaaaay smaller molecules, and they literally "fly under the radar" of your immune system. Unless your immune system is an extravagantly rare freak of nature, (which I'm not betting on) there is no way you could have a reaction to tarantula venom.

"True spider" venoms are different--as in, spiders that are not tarantulas. Because regular spider venom IS based on proteins, you are more likely to have an allergic reaction to a plain old garden spider than you are to any tarantula.

That said, Poecilotheria have some pretty unpleasant bites even without allergies being an issue, and I would advise caution. Many is the keeper who, after being bitten by a Pokie, sought professional medical help.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Good to know, thank you for that wealth of information... I will spread the knowledge :D