Venom Spreadsheet?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there a venom spreadsheet or a species spreadsheet for me to show a doctor if I were bitten by a medically significant species? Even though I know I will not die. I plan on keeping some other venomous animals soon and I think one of these would be beneficial.

orangeandbitey

Arachnopeon
I am not aware of one. A doctor/hospital really can't do anything for a T bite besides muscle relaxers to combat the cramping caused by select OW species. Unless of course you are dealing with some type of allergic reaction which seems to be a debate in itself whether its even possible to be allergic to T venom. For other venomous animals such as snakes, I definitely see a point in doing this. My advice would be to just make an excel sheet for your particular collection and add in your T's if you feel necessary. Do you mind if I ask what you are planning on keeping? :) I used to keep a B. Gabonica (Gaboon Viper) for a while and at the time the only place that held antivenom was over 5 hours away. Anyways good luck man and stay on your toes!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Doctors will laugh at you when you go to the hospital saying you've been bit by a tarantula. They honestly have no clue what species are and aren't 'medically significant' and, as stated already, will only give you pain pills and muscle relaxers.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah I live in Georgia and I am pretty sure without a permit it is illegal to keep anything that is not native. But I want to buy a few A. c. mokasen. Northern Copperheads. Even though I know antivenom will save me, and sometimes isn't even needed for a Copperhead bite, I would still want some info on what I had been bitten by. I just wanted a spread sheet, and I was thinking of adding my Pokies on there, since my other OW do not dart right when the container is opened. All I know is, if my P. metallica gets out I would rather get bit than it get away. Also thanks Joe, I knew someone would say that, I was thinking if I should have put this in the "Not so spineless wonders" or not. Either way thanks to the both of you.

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah I live in Georgia and I am pretty sure without a permit it is illegal to keep anything that is not native. But I want to buy a few A. c. mokasen. Northern Copperheads. Even though I know antivenom will save me, and sometimes isn't even needed for a Copperhead bite, I would still want some info on what I had been bitten by. I just wanted a spread sheet, and I was thinking of adding my Pokies on there, since my other OW do not dart right when the container is opened. All I know is, if my P. metallica gets out I would rather get bit than it get away. Also thanks Joe, I knew someone would say that, I was thinking if I should have put this in the "Not so spineless wonders" or not. Either way thanks to the both of you.
They may not kill you but a close friend of mine lost 2 fingers to a C. mokasen. I have kept rattlers both east and west as well as various elapids and Bitis and the elapids would sit better on a hook where as copperheads have this loving desire to ride up the hook and let you have it.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This article covers more North American tarantulas, and how to treat urticating hair injuries, especially to the eyes.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/772583-overview

For OW species like Poecilotheria, Heteroscodra, Haplopelma, etc. the typical treatment is some combination of anti-inflammatories, pain-relievers, and muscle relaxants. Generally a prescription-strength pain reliever like morphine or percocet is used in severe cases.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ah I live in Georgia and I am pretty sure without a permit it is illegal to keep anything that is not native.
Actually, it is exactly the opposite. All native wildlife is protected and illegal to own in GA.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i would highly HIGHLY suggest doing your own research and not just looking for something to download as a bite sized nugget

i am "good" at getting bit because i know in my brain AND my heart what the possible affects are and what i need to worry about. too many ppl skimp on the prereading and then panic when they get bit. in a sense, i like ppl to get punished by their own stupidity... but there is a tiny chance it could mess up the hobby for the rest of us and that just isn't funny anymore