Venom Extractor

icsparks

Arachnopeon
I posted this on another forum. wasn't sure where to post it here BUT.........

I haven't seen any posts where someone has used an extractor to remove venom from a bite or sting. Could be that some are not aware of a device that will extract some of the venom from a bite or sting. Not promoting anything here, but I have used this device on bee stings and it reduces the effect of the sting greatly. The device is called "The Extractor". It is a first aid kit for bites and stings. The kit has a suction extractor pump with several sized nozzles for the size bite, a razor to remove hair from the bite location and prep pads to clean the area. Great kit to have on hand In the T room and on camping trips in the outdoors. This kit also works on snake bites. Thinking the kit costs about $20. That's cheep for the amount of pain it could reduce.

P.S If there are a any out there that have used it, would like to know how well it worked.

Later

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Many here don't believe in it, some think it is worth a shot at least to try. In the end, we are talking about sucking out a drop or LESS.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Research done with this in regards to snake venom found it to be useless. That might be because snake venom is injected deeper - but I'd have to see some indication of actual effectiveness before I'd waste my time with it.

icsparks

Arachnopeon
There isn't any proof that it will reduce the effect on a T bite. Or could be that it shows no effectiveness at all on people who have used it.

Thinking time is also an issue, although I have had the extractor to work on bee stings even after a few min delay. Sometimes I'm just to lazy to get it out and use it, and I just deal with the pain. LOL

Snake bite venom is not to be extracted like old treatment because of tissue damage at the bite area, but snake venom is diff from T venom so not sure if the same applies. If I was miles away form help with a snake bite and had the kit you bet I would try anything I could to remove as much venom as I could. Again not proven to help.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Snake bite venom is not to be extracted like old treatment because of tissue damage at the bite area, but snake venom is diff from T venom so not sure if the same applies. If I was miles away form help with a snake bite and had the kit you bet I would try anything I could to remove as much venom as I could. Again not proven to help.
The tissue damage (at least as a result of first aid treatments) came not from suction but from the technique of slashing open the flesh at the sites of the punctures. This was a "standard" 50 or more years ago, and created more problems than benefits. Applying suction, either from an extractor or any other source, won't cause tissue damage (unless you do something really strange). Won't do any good either, beyond the possibly psychological feeling that you are doing something.

In the case of a bee sting, the stinger is still a connecting channel between the injected venom and the surface, so the extractor just might be useful. But snake bites, tarantula bites, scorpion stings, etc., do not have that going for them. The venom is below the surface, and surface tissue will likely close off the opening through which the venom was injected. All the extractor can do is suck on the surface, which does nothing to the venom or the affected tissues.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
mega useless even with smallest of T fangs the venom is injected (incase of a wet bite which are rare enough) deep enough into you flesh where the extractor will just suck up some of your blood and maybe a 10th of the actual venom amount injected

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Use it on bee stingers which are lodged in your skin, depending on the type.

the (right wing redneck although very informative) survival/self reliance site "survivalistboards.com" has many threads regarding the efficacy of these "venom extractors".

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Benedryl stills works better, since to start off with that in the event your are bitten by a tarantula your chances of death or severe symptoms are slim. Of course this isnt your pass to being able to piss the spider off in any way possible. Also why waste your time with a extractor which wouldnt be able to suck the deep penetrating venom out and by the time you get it out the venom will be heartbeats into your bloodstream, Instead go and get some drugs into you.