Venezuelen Sun Tiger (Psalmopeous Irminia)

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello!

I`m getting back into the T`s again after about five years of Herp hobbying and my present hobby being scorps. I just purchased one of these(1.5-2") and was wondering if some of you guys could tell me some tips and info about this species. I know its humidity and temp should be around 80%/80o F . And thats its aboreal but i heard i can be quite aggresive and very fast. Not the best qualities i`m looking for in a T , But i`m awestruck by it`s beauty. So if you guys wanna send me some warnings ,,,I`d much appreciate it. Thanx

Mat

Its arriving friday and i hope its not too toxic:? . I haven`t found too much on the internet and i hope that it isn`t too bad with the urticating hairs. I`m also interested in an L. Parahybana and would like too here your opinions about it also if possible...:rolleyes: :confused:

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello

Hello, I hope this is helps:
I have a 4" female P. Irminia
It was my first T ever
I had some experiances with it. All I can tell you as a warning is that they are really, really fast! It is very hard to clean out her cage( I use very long tweezers) and About the uricating hairs don't worry about them they don't have any! and of course don't kick any. Not really agressive unless you don't feed it well enough, though she is very very defensive but it's really striking how her front legs and pedilaps have that green sheen of metallic to it in the right light when she rears up. This is truly an amazing Tarantula that I love to death! Just be aware, DONT HANDLE! I don't belive in handling anything for that matter. Very very very fast and defencive. I call the Psalmopoeus genus the Pokes of the new world because of their similarities yet I have no idea about the venom potency of the genus.
Hope this helps

Geo

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as far as I know, L. parahybana is one of the worst kickers, both in frequency of kicking and in irritability of the hair...on the other hand, very nice, robust spider, well eating and fast growing..

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Suntigers are amazing! I have one right now its 2" and is fast as lightning. I dont use tweezers or anything like that but I usually change and clean stuff in its take during the day when it isnt very active. But they are super fast and u have to be careful mine almost got out once but luckily i was faster than it. Good Luck with this amazing Tarantula

TheDon

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Alias
as far as I know, L. parahybana is one of the worst kickers, both in frequency of kicking and in irritability of the hair...on the other hand, very nice, robust spider, well eating and fast growing..
Thanks for sharing that, but they were talking about Psalmopoeus irminia ....

Dennis

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Err, Dennie....

Originally posted by chau0046
I`m also interested in an L. Parahybana and would like too here your opinions about it also if possible...:rolleyes: :confused:
;)

Atlanta Native

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very, Very, Very fast

I had one get away from me. It was about 2". I found it a few months later and it had grown to about 3". It is a beautiful spider. Mine burrows and seems to come out when it's ready to eat.

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Very, Very, Very fast

Originally posted by Atlanta Native
I had one get away from me. It was about 2". I found it a few months later and it had grown to about 3". It is a beautiful spider. Mine burrows and seems to come out when it's ready to eat.

Do you use an under heater pad for its tank? I heard that they burrow down if there`s a heat pad , But if you just heat the whole room they become fully arboreal!! I have a twelve by eight room heated to 80oF with one 250 watt buld. My emporers and H. arizonensis are closer to it than anything else and ther temp is around 90o F during the day. The rest of my critters dont have a heat source directly on the tank, But are very active with the day and night temp(74o F nightime).

Mat

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: Venezuelen Sun Tiger (Psalmopeous Irminia)

Originally posted by Lopez
Err, Dennie....

;)

Sorry, concider my post as unposted! :)

Dennis