Venezuelan sun tiger help!

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Not to come off as rude but if you're nervous about a Psalmopoeus irminia, then you should be ever so grateful you didn't get the Cyriopagopus livius cause you're not ready for that type of 'fun' yet. I have 3 irminias and all of mine are reclusive, only to sometimes be seen in the wee hours of the night with the flashlight from my phone. I just recently rehoused one of my females and the attitude was mainly slapping the straw and full reluctance to move out of the old enclosure. My C. livius on the other hand is full threat pose with fangs spread, bite the straw and take it with her. The slightest disturbance and she is full threat postured. Fast as lightning and to be completely honest I am glad I bought her as a mature adult so I don't have to rehouse her again (the rehouse from her kritter keeper from the pet store to her 10 gal tank was all the fun I never want to have again).

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
This is how I have my biggest female's enclosure set up. She did do a no no and got behind the background so I'm going to remove it and add other stuff to make it look more natural. The bigger they get the more attitude they have from what I have observed with my 3.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Ok. Like I said there's a lot I want to change about his setup but I don't want to move stuff while he's in pre molt. He came with that entire setup so I have some tidying up to do lol
No, get that home set up properly and do it quickly. It needs wholesale changes.
Breaking legs of a spider? Are you friggin' kidding me?:rage:
I can't believe this...it makes me very sad.:sorry:

This is how I have my biggest female's enclosure set up. She did do a no no and got behind the background so I'm going to remove it and add other stuff to make it look more natural. The bigger they get the more attitude they have from what I have observed with my 3.
While they are arboreals, most don't act the part. Height is less of a necessity, ground cover is actually more important. Just look at the above pics, its a very nice arboreal enclosure, but for this t, it could have cared less and chose literally the only small place it could make a burrow, right on the ground.

Wood is good, but don't lean it too vertically. That cardboard is not appropriate.

Op, this is one of the most reclusive species you could own, so not seeing them is quite normal, and isn't always a giveaway for pre-molt. Theyre good eaters, fairly fast growers, and in those times they choose to be out, they are stunning. They like moisture n the sub, but they are also very drought tolerant, so you can let it completely dry from time to time.

Also be aware that along with being very fast, its one of the more defensive ts out there...lots of threat posturing on re-housing day usually.

Make sure it has a decently sized water dish.

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
Got that new setup. Wanted to go with the front opening terrarium but of course they had none. They only had one piece of wood left too and it was rather big once I put it in the tank. Any major complaints before I rehouse? (I know the screen isn't good material so ill get a piece of plastic on there asap)

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
While they are arboreals, most don't act the part. Height is less of a necessity, ground cover is actually more important. Just look at the above pics, its a very nice arboreal enclosure, but for this t, it could have cared less and chose literally the only small place it could make a burrow, right on the ground.

Wood is good, but don't lean it too vertically.

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
Gomez decided to take a walk today! I'm very relieved and will most likely go with his rehousing asap. 20170623_143610.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I would have read more but I didn't even know what kind of t I was buying...i read a lot once I figured it out. I bought him in a hurry because they were breaking feeders and legs off of spiders to show people. I wasn't gonna let it stay there and be killed...
Sounds like a wretched place to me. I hope they go out of business.

IamKrush

Arachnopeon
I was at a pet store and they had some rescued t's from an abandoned house. I wanted the cobalt but didn't have 120 to drop at the time. Ended up finding a 2" t that was unspecified as to what he was. My first guess was he was a tiger rump and he was a little jerk and escaped his cage at the pet store. I really liked him and purchased him. Got home and was getting a better look at him and noticed his little orange Nike swooshes on his legs and began searching the interwebs for his true identity. Finally figured out he was a sun tiger and he's been out and about the first 2 weeks I had him. Now for the past 2-3 weeks I haven't seen him and can't get him to move in his web. I'm really worried. I know he could be in premolt but I have no idea. I keep his cage humidity a bit higher than my pink toe but they get water every day. He's eaten a few meal worms and crickets. I read that they aren't a very active t but I'm just worried, he's awesome and I don't want anything to happen to him. If anyone has any info on these t's or any extra pointers I'd really appreciate it.
When they are that size they tend to hide behind the dirt curtains. As long as it is eating you dont have anything to worry about.