velvet ant care

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
did the research and this is what i think is good to keep velvet ants: on a dry substrate (sand) with a little hide, and a dish with something to drink/eat (i have 6 parts water to 1 part honey). is this good?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sounds good to me i used to have them and that's how i kept them,i kept mine seperate of each other too. you could also try apple/strawberry other fruit nectors etc. they are really cool wasps.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has anyone ever figured out how to breed them?

Last I heard, someone was trying to use zophobas pupae.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i had a big black and red girl from California

i just fed it honey drops on one side and misted the other. it would drink from both sides, iirc.

i think she lived like 3-5 months. can't quite recall.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They are generally considered to be parasites on ground nesting Hymenoptera. The odds of getting them accept a host other than Hymenoptera is about zero

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are generally considered to be parasites on ground nesting Hymenoptera. The odds of getting them accept a host other than Hymenoptera is about zero
Now that there's some wasp keepers here, do you think it would be possible to use paper wasp pupae?

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not too likely, all our species in the States are ground dwellers and apparently utilize ground nesting species as hosts.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have read some reports that one species of velvet ant will target bumblebee nests, I do not know what type of Vant this is though, most velvet ant host items remain unknown.

ta2edpop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought that there host(s) kinda varied by area. I have caught and kepy several around my house. Just enjoy watching them.