Velvet ant breeders?

ERIC cotter

Arachnopeon
I became fascinated with these guys after seeing them on Bugs in Cyberspace's site, but they don't seem to have them in stock too often. Anyone know of somewhere else offering them? I haven't found anything yet.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure that anyone would breed them, since they are parasitic on the larvae and pupae of ground-nesting bees. The ones offered by Bugs in Cyberspace are more likely wild-caught. Your best bet for getting some is to go out looking for them yourself (they do live in Florida) or post a Want-to-Buy in the classifieds section and somebody who has the ability to catch them might be able to get some for you. I do find them out here in SoCal fairly often - in fact, I just released about a dozen or so (assorted species) last week, after bringing them in to show the kids in my summer school classes - but it is far too hot this time of year to try shipping them so far.

For what it's worth, they do make pretty cool pets. I've kept them a number of times over the past 6 or 7 years, and they seem to do relatively well in captivity. When I've kept them, I fed them sliced grapes and oranges (so they could drink the juice) and they did well on that.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Seeing as velvet ants are parasites of other wasp and bee species, it would be very difficult to breed them and would require a ton of space, and no one I know of has ever even attempted to do such a thing. BIC seems to be one of the only vendors you can buy velvet ants from, so your best bet is to wait for him to get some more in stock.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
As stated above.

You aren't going to find CB velvet ants. They're relatively common though, so you shouldn't have a problem catching one yourself!

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
As stated above.

You aren't going to find CB velvet ants. They're relatively common though, so you shouldn't have a problem catching one yourself!
As long as you don't get stung! They are a bit frantic too.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
They make cute squeaking noises too! I see them often when I hike in the foothills around here. Usually burrowed right in on the trail, bone dry, rock hard "dirt". Maybe hunt them down in your home state?

"Fifty species in seven genera are found in Florida (Table 1) (Krombein 1979)."
I see them in the same places as well! It's nice to have people on here from the same area to share experiences with!