Veiled Chameleon

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I am going to be getting a Veiled Chameleon.:clap:
I have done a lot of research but I just want to get some advice from the experts here....
I want to make sure I have everything set up perfectly before he is brought home.
Any recomendations/ Ideas on feeding, humidity, etc.
Gadgets recommended and Things I can make.
Should I install a reptifoger? or should I look at other sources of humidity?
Any thoughts from here I will absorb :)
Thank you so much!

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What sort of cage are you planning to use? So many people try to get by with a regular aquarium. Be sure to use a screened cage.

Chameleons can be great eaters, or very picky. I never worked with veileds, but they are usually some of the better eaters. I would go with B. dubia as a staple. Crickets, superworms, wax worms, silkworms and horn worms are all used as well. Just go easy on the superworms, and waxworms.

I used a homemade drip system along with misting a coulpe times daily. In the summer I would keep my jacksons outside. I used a dripper when it was dry, and you could give a light shower with the hose a couple times a day.

Just be sure to get full spectrum UVA/UVB light, and I would recommend good vitamin and mineral supplements.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
What sort of cage are you planning to use? So many people try to get by with a regular aquarium. Be sure to use a screened cage.

Chameleons can be great eaters, or very picky. I never worked with veileds, but they are usually some of the better eaters. I would go with B. dubia as a staple. Crickets, superworms, wax worms, silkworms and horn worms are all used as well. Just go easy on the superworms, and waxworms.

I used a homemade drip system along with misting a coulpe times daily. In the summer I would keep my jacksons outside. I used a dripper when it was dry, and you could give a light shower with the hose a couple times a day.

Just be sure to get full spectrum UVA/UVB light, and I would recommend good vitamin and mineral supplements.
110% agreed all those things has made for a happy and healthy veiled for me. also if you wanna make a drip cup easily buy one of those red plastic cups and prick a hole in the bottom with a sewing needle it's worked perfectly for me oh also idk if you're chameleon will eat it but mine likes hibiscus flowers and rose petals veileds are actually omnivores just make sure whatever you feed them is grown organically without any pesticides

Last edited:

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
Thank you both for your quick response. I purchased an open Air Screened Cage, I have a dual hood with a repti sun 5.0 UVB and a Daylight Basking Bulb. aquariums are terrible for them with mold issues and reflection.
The enclosure is outfitted with a Varied multi level canopy of sturdy well secured artificial plants & plenty of diffrent sized climbing vines.
I have the Little Dripper Installed.
I will be ordering some B. dubia roaches I am planning on having those on hand for my T's & figured they would be an excellent food source.

I plan to track down some Hibiscus plants I hope they get in stock soon. I haven't tried all the home improvement stores...yet. :)
I was planning on using astroturf as substrate or the green felt snake liner.
right now I have news papers which will be changed daily.
I went to the pet store and was a little shocked all they had him under was a basking bulb I immediately brought him home so he could have some uvb.:(
He was also in a glass terrarium with bark subtrate and a water dish:wall:
I wish I had noticed sooner he wasn't under any uvb.:mad:
I wanted to wait till I had a tub full of roaches & my temp and hygrometer installed. oh well. It will be done.
terrarium has been warm misted, temp is right in room, his uvb light and full spectrum daylight basking bulb is on. which will be turned off in about 12 hours so he can sleep.
I have a tub of crickets, super worms, and Meal worms.
I also plan to purchase some collard greens and recommended veggies.
any reccomendations on veggies? collard greens.. and...
Oh any tips on feeding?? should I secure a mealworm dish in the enclosure?

I purchased suppliments at LPS calcium, d3 with calcium, and Vitamins.
I think Vitamins are given every month, D3 every few weeks, and calcium every other feeding?
He looks much better after I put him in his enclosure.
when it warms up here he will receive many trips outside :)
Any input is very much welcome,
Thank you again :)
attached Pic of my Veiled Chameleon Mr. Sig Sauer

Attachments

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't buy the green liner from a pet store! Many hardware stores sell it off of a roll and it is MUCH cheaper. I think I paid as much for a 3' x 12' piece as I did for a 1x3 petshop one, and it is identical material.

I had a fixed dish at normal activity height. That worked best for me.