Veiled Chameleon

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A friend is going to give me 2 babys veiled chameleon, any chance somebody here knows how to take care of them?

Thanks

Ines

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ines-

Old-world chameleons are generally considerd to be high maintenence lizards, although vieleds are supposed to be easier than most. I don't keep them myself because my large varied collection just doesn't allow me the time to work with anything that requires daily attention. What I do know, however, is that they require good ventilation and full spectrum lighting. Many species require high humidity, but vieleds may be more dry tolerant (not sure on that one). Since you live in a warm climate, I would consider housing them outdoors if possible. This would eliminate the need for expensive light fixtures, plus no artificial source can compete with the sun! The cage should be fully ventilated (screen, as glass will heat up to much) and have both sunny and shaded areas. A screen porch would be great. Hopefully, someone else will have more specific info for you, but in the meantime you can find alot of info at:

www.kingsnake.com

They have care sheets and discussion forums for just about any reptile you can imagine.

Wade

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Wade, I am making soon a big vivarium in my aparatament (10 x 7 foots) where im planning to put some Koi fish in a waterfall. Maybe this can be the place for the chameleon, they will have real sun and good ventilation.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sounds great! A couple of trees in pots and you might not even need a cage.

Wade

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by ines68
Thanks Wade, I am making soon a big vivarium in my aparatament (10 x 7 foots) where im planning to put some Koi fish in a waterfall. Maybe this can be the place for the chameleon, they will have real sun and good ventilation.
WOW! Ines keeps arachnids, dart frogs.......now true chameleons! <sigh> are you married?!
:D
Ed

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
WOW! Ines keeps arachnids, dart frogs.......now true chameleons! <sigh> are you married?!
:D
Ed
Im not married ;)