Vegueta, Peru

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I havent been doing much rock flipping here in Peru since my main purpose down here is to marry Nathaly, however I did go out and looked around Vegueta which is about 2 hours North of Lima along the coast.

When I first went for a walk I forgot to bring my camera which is always the time I find stuff it seems :rolleyes:
Anyway I found these scorpions under some trash near the beach. I put them in my cigarette box to take to the room for photos and one was making a meal of the other. I have no idea what species it is.

There are several kinds of True Spiders out in the desert and next to the coast

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Another pic of the last spider

Here is a different species of scorpion. It is probably Hadruroides lunatus. It had a very bad attitude and almost got me.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They seem to have a taste for spiders

This is where most things were found. Its a place where people throw out trash. Surprisingly, the scorpions and other creatures seem to prefer hiding under trash than they do rocks. I never found a single scorpion under a rock.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Another scorp found during the trip along the coast

This is what I call the Peruvian version of the Collared Lizard. I have no idea what species it is but some get almost as large as our Collared lizards and are just as fast. The males have some nice coloring.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here are the crabs that inhabit the beach

Nathaly is making a good partner for field trips and a very beautiful partner as well

zinto

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That first picture actually looks like a scorpion in the middle of a molt...I hope he made it! Nice finds though!!

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice!
Check on the hillslopes north of Lima for Bothrops pictus!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lelle, This was North of Lima. I couldnt find anything except when close to the beach. I guess it was just too dry and barren on the hills there. Here is the terrain. It makes Arizona deserts look like a rain forest LOL

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Lelle, This was North of Lima. I couldnt find anything except when close to the beach. I guess it was just too dry and barren on the hills there. Here is the terrain. It makes Arizona deserts look like a rain forest LOL
The Bothrops are not easy to find there but try perhaps further up on the hills.
I have a friend who lives in Lima, I will ask him for more advice on where to look for them if you are interested in looking for them.
Me and Sheri went to the inca ruins (cant remember the name) and it was pretty dry there :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lelle, You and Sheri should go back in November. I am planning to be there then and maybe we all could go someplace and kick over some rocks.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Lelle, You and Sheri should go back in November. I am planning to be there then and maybe we all could go someplace and kick over some rocks.
That would be fun but its not possible this year.
I think the rainforest are priority number one for us but depending on time I sure would love to herp those slopes!

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The lizard is Microlophus peruvianus, a common species on the coast there.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I will be making many more trips there in the future so hopefully you 2 can meet me down there on one of the trips. We can all go to the jungle part. Thats where all the good stuff is

MarknMiami

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I'm certainly up for the peruvian jungle...I've been wanting to explore that jungle since I was a little kid....We defo need to make plans for that in the future.

geopet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it an open invite? I've been planning a trip to Machu Pichu (I don't know the spelling) maybe in late November. Either there or Ecuador. . I want to see some wild Acanthoscurria sp.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
how'd you catch that collared lizard?? all the lizards around my house are quick as lightning!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
xgrafcorex said:
how'd you catch that collared lizard?? all the lizards around my house are quick as lightning!
It wasnt easy believe me. The ones I caught I found in the morning before they had a chance to warm up much. I would lift a rock and catch it as it was taking off. I did end up with a few broken tails though LOL