vegetarian emperor, wth?

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the other day i saw a piece of moss sticking out of my female's chelicerae so i got my tweasers and went in to remove it, upon doing so i found it was a long string like piece of green moss that the scorpion had swallowed about 80% of.

i have no idea what to make of this, purhapse it could have gotten caught while the scorpion was drinking? i have seen them drag all manner of objects into thier water dishes so that would make some sense.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The moss like stuff is really part of their mouthpart. Don't remove it.

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is it realy part of their mouth? i havn't seen my scorps that close.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, think of it as there mustasche, most commonly it's yellow.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Since when is green moss pulled out of a scorpions stomach a part of it's mouth?

I don't think it would have harmed your scorpion, bit strange though.:?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since when is green moss pulled out of a scorpions stomach a part of it's mouth?

I don't think it would have harmed your scorpion, bit strange though.:?
I think moss was just a general type description... Most refer to it as a "feather-like pertrusion". If it was actually moss and not the part of the mouth than I can only infer it was sucking some of the moisture from the moss.

About removing it... I've never heard of anyone looking to remove it, since it is a part of their anatomy, but would guess its comparable to pulling on a cat's whiskers. Maybe not death resulting, but torture at the least.

EDIT

Dabuzz, here is a pic of 'scorpfanatic's although it's not clearly visible you can see the yellow in the mouthparts.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=2051&c=92

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the other day i saw a piece of moss sticking out of my female's chelicerae... it was a long string like piece of green moss that the scorpion had swallowed about 80% of...
I'm going to give 'Orkimedies' the benefit of the doubt here and assume he would stop pulling if indeed he did catch hold of the 'fuzzy mouth piece'.;P Since the 'fuzzy' part of the 'mouthpiece' is attached to the chelicerae and this is a pretty rigid part of the scorpion, it would be (IMHO) impossible to pull the 'fuzzy' off without pulling the chelicerae out/off of the 'face'.:eek: Below is a picture showing the two items in question, mouthpiece and moss. I feel (IMHO) that a scorpion could in fact 'suck' down a strand of moss.:drool:

Regards Thaedion

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i dont think anyone read his post very carefully.

upon doing so i found it was a long string like piece of green moss that the scorpion had swallowed about 80% of it
there is a chance it was swallowed along with a cricket. stranger things have happened.

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i know about thier mustache and thats not what i pulled, it was a long piece of frog moss that i pulled like the stuff in the very bottom picture

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i dont think anyone read his post very carefully...
I read it! that is why I went to the trouble to post a defense to 'Orkimedies' otherwise I wouldn't of spent the 20 minutes to get pics and write a post. I was seeing that the 'train derailed' and it was going down a wrong tack of thought and needed to be realigned.

Any how... Regard thaedion

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I read it! that is why I went to the trouble to post a defense to 'Orkimedies' otherwise I wouldn't of spent the 20 minutes to get pics and write a post. I was seeing that the 'train derailed' and it was going down a wrong tack of thought and needed to be realigned.

Any how... Regard thaedion
i didnt see your post before, my bad.

John