Varnish

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just had my new shelf delivered today. It was painted with varnish a few days ago and still has that varnish smell on it. Would this have any effect on my T's??

Dean86

Arachnopeon
Well T's must have a sence of smell cause I know that cigarette smoke harms them so I guess varnish would too cause its got a strong smell...

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It had it's final coat done yesterday and it was left outside from last night until late this afternoon. I can smell it when I walk into my T room.

Deano - I see you found me here. Hehe. Is varnish harmful though??

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't leave it outside. Live in a flat.
can you put it in front of a sunny window with a fan on it for a few days?

the problem is varnishes use solvents that are vaporizing off into the air... that is why you can smell them, predominantly. the odds are nothing perceptibly bad would happen to you bugs if you started using the new rack today.... but better safe than sorry for stuff like this, i think

also, the reason i keep saying sun and wind is that the sun will heat up the varnish and push the solvents out faster, i believe. then the wind will take it away. a chemist type could tell you more, i expect.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can't leave it outside. Live in a flat.
you must be short if you live in a flat house lol
Sorry I couldnt resist.
never understood the use of the term flat. I understand it as in "that box is flat" or "my tire is flat" but not " I live in a flat" of course Churchill said that the USA and Britian were 2 countries seperated only by a common language lol
I guess the Atlantic dosent count lol

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hello,

Varnish and Laquer based finishes actually cure from the outside in, which causes them to retain vapors for an extended amount of time. Putting it in the heat will actually cause the outter skin to harden at a ellevated rate traping internal fumes for a longer period of time. I would just keep in the AC and wait until you can put your nose right up to it and not smell anything. This may take up to 8 days or so to be completely cured. The other good reason for waiting this period is that there will be no chance of whatever u place on them to stick to the surfaces ;)

I have about 12 years experience using these products on a weekly basis as I build custom furniture for a living, just a little background info :)

GL with them and the Ts

Last edited:

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, Thanks for that advise. It doesn't feel sticky, but I have moved it into another room and left the fan blowing with window open. It won't be in direct sunlight, but will have fan blowing on it. Was planing to only use next sunday. Which is roughly 10 days.
What does AC mean?