variation in roach nutritional requirements

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hi,

i have only had experience with b. lateralis and g. portentosa until now.
both have been very successful with high-end dog food (what my mother feeds her beloved dog), as their only source of protein.
i was wondering if other species, specifically b. dubia have higher protein requirements?

- munis

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My b.dubia eat dog food and seem to be doing great. I feed them what I feed my bulldog, Royal Canin.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. dubia

I've been feeding mine cat, dog, and fish food for years. I still think items like apples, carrots, etc are very important.
James
www.blaberus.com

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i mix my colony's dog food with different types of cereal then smash it all together with a few drops of olive oil. Also feed them fruits and vegetables that have been cut up or smashed and mixed they LOVE papaya. Citrus i've been told helps them breed so i give them a slice of lemon, lime or an orange depending on what i have.

Aquanut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ditto what James said, i also use chicken feed(mash)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have been feeding the discoids and the hissers fish flakes , fluckers cricket food and fresh romain , cabbage and carrots and some apple remnants they eat the skins and the core down to the seed lol

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did an experiment in college using u. proticus and found that even in this roach with a reputation for being very carnivorous, when given an option of foods heavily laden with either fat, protein, or carbohydrates, the roaches prefer carbohydrates generally.

so, feed them mainly carbs with a little bit of meat mixed in.