Vanuatu care

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I pretty sure the centipede that i bought before christmas that was just labelled as a carribean centipede is in fact a vanuatu centipede. Can anyone give me anymore information about them, i've been searching the net and have only found a small amount of information, and no care sheets. Specifically, how big do the get? humidity, temp? Thank you.

Cheers,

Dan.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it's a Vanuatu Scolopendra sp., it should be kept at 75-80% humidity, give or take. A good 2-3" of substrate. I use sphagnum peat moss with around 25% vermiculite. That mixture seems to hold a decent amount of moisture but with a decent rate of evaporation. That in conjunction with the high acidity of the sphagnum keeps the possibility of mold very low. A good flat piece of cork bark works well for a hide. Good air circulation is important too. Not to the point that the pede will feel a breeze or anything but enough so the moisture in the enclosure won't sit and stagnate.
I'm not sure how big they get. It was originally thought that they average in the 5"-6" range but one of mine has broken the 7" mark and still eating voraciously.
Most of these care tips may well apply to your pede if it's from the Carribean as well.

Good luck, and congrats on your new pede! :)
Lemme know if you have any more questions.

Atrax

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice to hear some vanuatus get large-ish! Most of those I get in are in that 5-6" range.

bill