vanishing crickets

Elder

Arachnopeon
I have a pink bloom or Pamphobeteus sp. Platyomma. She's a juvenile and is really shy and hides all the time. I can never manage to catch her out. When I put crickets in they magically disappear one by one. She has also shut off her burrow and I just don't know how she does it. Or are crickets really that stupid that they crawl in the little crack of the burrow?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
If burrow is shut off, stop putting feeders in. Your T is probably approaching molt. If it’s down their molting and you’re putting feeders in, they will go down and feed on your T.

cold blood

Staff member
Pamphs have one of the most supreme of feeding responses....im sure they are eaten.

Now, I will add, that when a t blocks its self off, you dont need to feed, just wait until it emerges.

Elder

Arachnopeon
Pamphs have one of the most supreme of feeding responses....im sure they are eaten.

Now, I will add, that when a t blocks its self off, you dont need to feed, just wait until it emerges.
As of this comment I can confirm there is a molt in the burrow. I believe she's been molted for a week now. I just never saw it. Thank God she seems fine and none of the crickets seemed to have harmed her.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
but you have to be careful because she can break a fang if she tries to feed too soon. As a SOP, if your T blocks itself in, just cease feeding for a while until you get an idea what is up. Your T won't starve and the negatives (cricket eating your molting T or a broken fang) is not worth it

Elder

Arachnopeon
Oh, thank you so much for letting me know. I'll remember that for the future. I just get really impatient and worried as a new keeper. I appreciate it really!

basin79

ArachnoGod
If you don't want anyone disturbing you, your close your door.

When I tarantula doesn't want to be disturbed they block off their burrow. If they do that just make sure you leave them alone but keep their water dish full.

Some tarantulas will moult in the open of their enclosure as to them that is their burrow/hide/safe space. So if they stop feeding again just leave them alone.

If you're ever unsure a tarantula will take prekilled prey. I often leave prekilled prey out for my fossorial tarantulas to find.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Oh, thank you so much for letting me know. I'll remember that for the future. I just get really impatient and worried as a new keeper. I appreciate it really!
it's common with new keepers, the worry. It is a deceptively simple hobby, and one that teaches patience and impulse control. As long as you have a water supply you are good, and then just pay attention to your T, it will tell you what is going on. If you offer food and they refuse it, just remove it. If they barricade themselves in just keep the water dish full and let it be. if you wonder why older keepers have collections, one reason is, some of our Ts we rarely see, so if you have more than 1 it helps not seeing the other. I have 2 Pokies I rarely see, fossorials are similar, so when they make appearances it is something special, but I have pet rocks I can see all the time