Value of Tarantulas

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, it's ethically wrong for people to be doing that, but I'm certainly benefitting from it. Think about it - I buy a 'confirmed female' B. smithi for $30 off Craigslist from an owner that doesn't know any better. It matures, and suddenly it's worth way more than $30 in a trade. For that spider (this is a real example, by the way) I ended up walking away with about $100 worth of various slings.

Sure, someone else got screwed and that's too bad, but I ended up benefiting from it.
I guess the difference is that you and I were buying at different ends of the pricing spectrum. Yes, if it's a steal of a price - regardless of gender - then you're coming out ahead no matter what the spider turns out to be. On the other hand, if you're paying prices that are more appropriate for a mature/subadult female because you want big spiders in a hurry and you're willing to gamble on unsexed, then it's not such a great deal if the seller is trying to pass males as unsexed.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great video friend as always. :) About 5 years back, i will never forget it. I really trusted the guy, he said It was an confirmed AF P.metallica, the price $148 I was so happy for her. Guess what?
2 month later it was a MM. I never found the guy again. That sucked. :( If i ever see him again I`ll beat the crap out of him.
Yeah, that sucks. Sorry it happened to you.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I think 40$ is the most so far, after being in the hobby for a little over a year, and it was for my GBB. (Also yessss to the Chilobrachys being your favorite, they're probably my favorite so far too!)

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Most i ever paid was 60€ for a subadult P. metallica female with an enclosure
Really lucked out on that one

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's been a lot of talk on here recently about the monetary value of spiders. I figured that it was about time I move on from tarantula 101 and start talking about more advanced topics, and where better to start then to ask why some spiders cost more than a used car? As always, feel free to critique! I'm all ears.

So, what do you think? Did I miss anything major? And out of curiosity, what's the most you've paid for a single spider? I can't say I've paid through the nose for any specimen, but my most valuable is probably my MF B. emilia that I got for the steal price of ~$100USD.
EK what size is that RUB on the shelf behind your RIGHT, the low profile one? That middle shelf, has 3 containers, plastic, and a glass one on the end.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Ah that's right, thanks. I don't see any reason to get them from the pics I saw.
Yeah you're right on that, I don't see reason to pay THAT much on them, I just love all Chilobrachys :D But my C. fimbriatus is enough to keep me happy, definitely one of the most gorgeous in the genus

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
my most valuable is probably my MF B. emilia that I got for the steal price of ~$100USD.
Wow -- you did find an amazing deal! I paid double that for my B emilia but no regrets -- a sub-adult female was worth it. I think I paid about the same for my sub-adult female GBB also. A couple years in now and they're lovely healthy adults.
Unless I am forgetting a T somewhere, I think my B emilia and GBB are the ones I spent the most on.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
EK what size is that RUB on the shelf behind your RIGHT, the low profile one? That middle shelf, has 3 containers, plastic, and a glass one on the end.
I don't know the exact dimensions or volume off hand, but I'll get you them when I get home.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@viper69
Are you talking about this one?
zzz.png

If so, then it is a 9L RUB, my new favorite size. It's a bit large for many terrestrials, but it doesn't have that opening flap that so many have. By dimensions, it's 9.5" wide, 13" long, 6" tall. It's currently housing a subadult N. coloratovillosus.