Valerie and the war on flies

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
The war. It's been going on for longer than I can say. It's brutal. Unending. Many escape death, but not all are so lucky. But this isn't a story of war. This is a story of one battle. Be warned. It may not be for the faint of heart.
There I was, preparing myself for the night. Hoping to escape the waking nightmare facing me each day. I was in my small bathroom, but it soon became clear that I was not alone. The enemy was claiming our territory as thier own. My daughter uses this room! I will not give it up to them! I can't say for sure how many there were. A countless army of three or four. I was outnumbered. Even on my best days, they could outmaneuver me. All I had was my strength, my wits, and a towel. The odds were against me, but the battle was on.
As they encircled, I did my best to counter thier onslaught. Compared to the enemy's speed, my feeble attacks were nothing. I had to corner them. There were not only fast, but nimble! This was no easy task. I blocked off thier only escape route and my own as well. Each knew, we would not all be leaving here.
I made one strike after another, toothbrushes, toothpaste and soap flying across the room! At last, I was able to knock one to the sink! With a long blast of hot water, his warring days were over. Again and again, I attacked, to my dismay, beheading our beloved bobble head crocodile. But this isn't crocodile daycare! This is a battleground! Not allowing myself to stop and mourn, I pinned one! But she wriggled free! Sneaky devil escaped to where she knew I would not strike, the light fixture. But she was injured. Perhaps fatally. Thier numbers were beginning to dwindle.
To my dismay, my husband came in to make sure I wasn't dead and one escaped. There was at least one more in the bathroom with me, but where? I couldn't search forever. I had to complete my nightly regimen. I was about to shower, when one more appeared. A big one. Crafty too. She dodged one attack after another, mocking me, but her overconfidence proved her undoing, as at last, I was able to flick her with just a corner of my towel of war, knocking her to the tub below. Again and I again I smashed her without mercy! But she was a tank among flies, and would not die! Finally, I was forced to conduct a brutal twisting smash and it was over. She won't be there tonight to tuck her little maggots in to sleep....

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It sounds to me like you need to enlist some reinforcements in your war against the Dipteran horde. Perhaps you should form an alliance with your eponymous eight-legged friends and recruit Salticid legions who can patrol the bathroom, intercepting any would-be infiltrators and dispatching them before they can summon (or breed) additional troops.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Sounds to me like @JumpingSpiderLady has never lived in or around a stable or farmyard where if you only note 20 to 30 of them on your picnic table you know the Equitrol<TM> is doing it's job.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Update on casualties of friendly fire: The crocodile has been reheaded. (it's head falls off all the time.)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A Salticid army would be great! Unfortunately, all we were able to enlist were the ineffective Pholcidae.....
Don't knock the Pholcidae! Any good General should know the importance of utilizing her troops appropriately, according to their strengths. Sure, they may not be the most effective fly catchers on the planet - but they sure knocked back the black and brown widow population in my garage!

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Don't knock the Pholcidae! Any good General should know the importance of utilizing her troops appropriately, according to their strengths. Sure, they may not be the most effective fly catchers on the planet - but they sure knocked back the black and brown widow population in my garage!
They performed admirably in the war on gnats, but this is an altogether different enemy...
And yeah, they fill the web spider niche in our home habitat, so I'm happy to have them. Its neat to see their eggs carried by the mothers too.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Yes, other spiders do not fare well at all against pholcids. Jumping spiders especially are future toast as they have no natural defense against the pholcids blitzing fast wrapping dance.
Speaking of which, it's also that time of year for pholcids here. No touching or doing anything in the kitchen without sticking your hand in a web.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, other spiders do not fare well at all against pholcids...
...except, apparently, Steatoda triangulosa - I have a bunch of free-range Steatoda in my bug/reptile room that clean up escaped feed crickets and fruit flies, but occasionally they'll sneak into one of the enclosures. I had one slip unnoticed into the deli cup with a Pholcid - and eat him!

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
...except, apparently, Steatoda triangulosa - I have a bunch of free-range Steatoda in my bug/reptile room that clean up escaped feed crickets and fruit flies, but occasionally they'll sneak into one of the enclosures. I had one slip unnoticed into the deli cup with a Pholcid - and eat him!
You keep them as pets? Let me know if you ever need more. We always have a healthy population in the bathroom and we don't use pesticides. Well, except on the dogs for fleas, but they don't really go in there.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You keep them as pets? Let me know if you ever need more. We always have a healthy population in the bathroom and we don't use pesticides. Well, except on the dogs for fleas, but they don't really go in there.
It depends. I don't keep them as pets year-round because they are plentiful out here, too - but when I'm gearing up for summer school, I'll catch pretty much anything and pop it into a deli cup or other container so I can bring it in to show the kids.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Lol once when I lived in Japan (Okinawa specifically) I was hunting around and found a Mantis ootheca. For some dumb reason I though it was unfertilized and brought it home and placed it standing up (it was on a stick) right next to my Bearded Dragon's enclosure. Apparently the heat lamp sped up the hatching process (probably not true but whatever) and the thing hatched while I was in school. I walked through my front door and I looked at the corner where my beloved Spiky was living and there were hundreds of spots (For some reason I thought everyone's eyesight was supposed to be near-sighted but I was like 12 years old). When I went closer I found that all those spots were actually newly hatched mantids! Spiky was grabbing any unfortunate victims that went inside his enclosure while I ran to my room to my arsenal; my collection of 14 Nerf blasters. It took that Friday and the rest of the weekend to rid the house of them (more like the ceiling). That's why I am an expert shot with Nerf blasters now. :p Oh yeah and Okinawa has millions upon millions of mosquitoes year round so flies don't even bother me now in the U.S. because I'm also an expert at predicting fly movements and my trusty flyswatter! [Now I'm nostalgic :( I miss the place so much. Curse you and your similar stories that are not that similar but remind me of what seems to me similar stories!]