Vagans housing

Andaingean

Arachnopeon
I have an almost 6" B. vagans I need to house. Now before coldblood recommends a 32oz deli cup, I was thinking more along lines of gallons. Would a 5.5 gallon tank be to small?

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
The tank needs to be around 2 times be spiders leg span in width and 3 times its leg span in length. For a 6" T that's 12 X 18 inches. 5.5 gallons are around that size, and that's what I'd use if I were you. Something a little bigger or a little smaller won't hurt either.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
5.5 gallon will be more than adequate, I have a subadult A. geniculata in a 22 Litre (4.8 Imp. Gallon/5.8 US Liquid Gallon) aquarium and she has more than enough space, a 10 gallon tank would be a waste of space for anything short of 8" DLS.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The tank needs to be around 2 times be spiders leg span in width and 3 times its leg span in length. For a 6" T that's 12 X 18 inches.
Just remember to make sure its vertical space (the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid) does not exceed 1.5x the tarantula's legspan. A big, bulky tarantula like that can be injured in a relatively short fall.