Vaejovis spinigerus question

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I have a Vaejovis spinigerus scorpling {3/4"}that I recieved as a freebie with a tarantula order and was curious... I havent seen him for about a week he burried himself in the substrate and hasnt come out. Should I worry? Should I dig him up? How damp should his substrate be? Thanks guys!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You shouldn't worry, they generally stay under scrapes or in burrows. It should be eating fairly often at that size though. It may be coming out at night. I would suggest giving it a feeder over night, then taking it out the next day if it's not eaten. Then try again the night after removal. It should be eating once or twice a week right now depending on feeder size.

They generally like it really dry. They do get some humidity in nature though. A light misting once ever two weeks should suffice right now. As it gets bigger you could go once a month.

And give it a hide! Not only will it enjoy having one, but you will be able to find it there 99% of the time.

Good luck and enjoy it. :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You're welcome. And most of us here still have a lot to learn, myself included. ;)

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You're welcome. And most of us here still have a lot to learn, myself included. ;)
that is true. you can never learn too much theres always something new to learn i can respect that comment Nomadinexile :clap:

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
So , I gave him a little extra substrate once I saw him out last night, put in a {slightly modified} bottle cap to use for a hide and he has been in his new home ever since! very happy to actually see him and know that he is ok. Love the fact that I have a scorp and not just a deli dish with coconut sub in it...lol

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that is true. you can never learn too much theres always something new to learn i can respect that comment Nomadinexile :clap:
LOL, I mean that more literally than philosophically! My knowledge is only based on my observations at home and nature and reading here. But that knowledge is still extremely limited. I feel like I have a lot to contribute for some species, for hobbyists. But my knowledge of the science of scorpions is completely lacking. I couldn't microscopically identify a scorpion if my life depended on it! I know most of the macro parts of a scorpion, but when you get into biological mechanisms or microscopic features, I am at a complete loss. I am hoping to fix that soon, as it would benefit me and everyone here when I start traveling again, but I don't even know where to begin.

When I say I have a lot to learn, I mean it! :eek: