vaejovis spinigeris

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anybody ever kept this species and is it ever available in the pet trade anywhere.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
has the same name as the american desert scorpion but has a picture here of a devil scorpion (vaejovis spinigeris) looks much different

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Vaejovis spinigeris sells occasionally on the wild caught list of GoldenPhoenixExotica.com, more commonly. I don't have too much info on them though. Invertepet.com also offers it on the scorpions list. The species for sale are from the deserts of Arizona. Species requirements call for sand substrate, a hide, 85-90 Fahrenheit temps and 60% humidity. They grow to an average of 2-2.5 inches in length.

adios,
edw. :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've kept them in 16 oz deli cups with a sand/peat mix kept dry but slightly moistend in one spot once a week. I've kept them for years this way, so they do pretty well in simple set ups.

Wade

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As John said,"With their fat tails they look like a Buthids" The nearest thing looks wise to a Buthid you'll get in the UK without a DWA permit:)

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are sold in Canada @ Arachnomania labelled texas gold scorpions.

Aidan

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Kind of strange to call them 'Texas Gold' as they are not found in Texas. The type locality for the original identification was labeled "Texas"; but that was in 1863...they have not been found there since. The do howeve occur in Arizona, parts of southern California and parts of western new Mexico. They can also be found in parts of northern Mexico.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/vaejovis.html

Oh by the way...their venom is reported to be relatively mild...will cause some pain.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
To be fair it is not V.spinigeris he has listed, but rather Vaejovis texensis. I assume V.texensis lives in Texas -- or rather that it would if it were a real species. :D Ah the joy of mis-IDed species.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Ah I seee now...

When I have see things labeled as V.texensis I kind of assumed that it is probably V.coahuilae or V.crassimanus...if in fact it was actually collected in Texas.

John
];')

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I searched up on it and there was no such species as texensis, I compared images of both species and they seem to be the same.

Aidan

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John,

Looks like coahuilae to me, but you are much more astute when it comes to Vaejovis taxonomy.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
I think in this case it all depends on the size...as far as visual appearance relates to a quick ID between the two species (V.coahuilae and V.spinigerus) with out knowing the adult size I have seen both of these species look the same in color and pattern depending on the lighting.

I would say that if your scorpions are in the 3-4cm range then most likely they are V.coahuilae. If they are on the average larger that this and in the 4-6cm range then they are most likely V.spinigerus...this is without taking any other anatomical factors into consideration.

Behavioral differences I have noticed are that V.coahuilae are incredibly fast and dart around with amazing speed. V.spinigerus is capable of this but does not, in general, dart around like V.coahuilae.

John
];')