Vacation

complicz

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,
I am going on a vacation to Croatia for 8 days and the thing is i am worried about my spiders.
It is pretty hot in here - 30+ celsius degrees almost every day.
I know the bigger ones will be fine, but i have some Avicularia, Psalmopoeus, Holothele, Cyriopagopus and Pokie slings that i am worried about. I dont know if they will make it without water. I have noone to take care of them in my absence, so i am looking for some advice.
I have an idea to put all slings into some bigger container with smaller container inside, that will be filled with water. Will that work?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have an idea to put all slings into some bigger container with smaller container inside, that will be filled with water. Will that work?
That will work perfectly, but the thing you have to avoid is creating a stagnant environment. That will kill them faster than dehydration. Make sure that the larger container has plenty of ventilation (and therefore plenty of water to account for the evaporation).

I just looked up Slovakia's weather, and you're due for quite a bit of rain and humidity. I think that with this setup, your slings will be just fine. Feed all of them a decent meal before you leave, set them up in that container, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Of course, lightly dampen all of their substrates before you leave as well.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Yup. I'd put all the sling containers into a large, well-ventilated enclosure. And add a couple of tubs of water to keep the humidity up. As stated, ventilation is very important.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your slings will be fine... where I live it sometimes gets 30C+ for weeks/months on end and I've never had a problem leaving my spiders completely alone for a week or two. Just try to feed them right before you leave and maybe dampen the substrate in their enclosures a bit more than usual.

complicz

Arachnopeon
That will work perfectly, but the thing you have to avoid is creating a stagnant environment. That will kill them faster than dehydration. Make sure that the larger container has plenty of ventilation (and therefore plenty of water to account for the evaporation).

I just looked up Slovakia's weather, and you're due for quite a bit of rain and humidity. I think that with this setup, your slings will be just fine. Feed all of them a decent meal before you leave, set them up in that container, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Of course, lightly dampen all of their substrates before you leave as well.
Thanks man :) ill try that