vacation problem

Den

Arachnosquire
I'm going on a vacation and I do have some inverts that need optimal humidity. Can any of you guys tell me what you do with your collection when you aren't at your house for 2 WEEKS!!!!!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Toss in a couple of bottle caps over flowing with water, feed up really good, & go on vacation! :D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Inverts? Or Tarantulas specifically?

There are no magic tricks with this. Just your brain.

Put several water dishes, make half the enclosure almost swampy...
You name it.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Luckily I have a friend who doesn't mind checking water and dropping in a cricket or two. Almost all of my Ts have a water dish - even if just a bottle cap. Here in TX, the humidity can vary from 100% one day to 25% the next. Since I must use a space heater at times, I manually mist the air if I am in the room, but I also have several dishes of water sitting out near the T cages (those that like a wee bit higher humidity). The evaporate slowly, and I have actually noticed a 5% or so rise from when they are not there.

Best thing is to have someone go over 3 times or so, and tip some water into dishes for you. (I'd hope you have someone collecting the mail, turning on and off lights, etc, just to keep an eye on the place.)

Good luck!

Marga

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
For each enclosure, soak several paper towels (seperately for each towel) and wad them into balls, toss them in. Overfill the water container. This is how they ship the Goliaths, who require high humidity - I'm assuming it may help.

Den

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys! And Fran, it's mostly my little .5 in. Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus I'm worried about the most, and my h. spinifer. By the time I leave, I should have the tapi, an LP the same size and a b. jacksoni, also the same size.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I put the tiny slings in a tupperware container which has water in it, and a lid sitting 3/4th on. This keeps the humidity up but allows for air movement. I also lower the temperature to the upper 60's. And of course the water.

I've been able to be away for four weeks and never lost an animal. Of course it does depend on your species and their sizes.