V.Spinigerus pics

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha! Finally the pics I've been promising everyone. I just hooked up the new camera and these are my first pics with it! I may be moving to a critter keeper instead of the chinese food container in the morning so if and when that happens, I'll be adding pics of the new home. Enjoy!

Last edited:

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He's about 2 - 2.5 inches... full grown. I managed to snap a few more pics today of the little guy in his new critter keeper. These should answer some questions I got a while ago pertaining to setup. {D

P>S>

I seem to be having a problem loading the new pics ... I'll try again tomorrow :wall:

Last edited:

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool pics! i have 4 of them myself, really cool scorps... i wish my camera was good enough to, but it sucks

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems from your picture and the websites picture you purchased from that these guys are rather "blah" looking, for lack of better words.

Mine were collected and sent from central Arizona and have much brighter colors and distinct patterning. I'm curious where they were collected from, maybe its a geological attribute or maybe something else.:?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/ead063/Vaejovis/Vspinigerus2.jpg

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you would benefit from learning how to focus the camera. I dont know what sort of camera it is, but it seems to focus quite closely, as some of your dirt just behind the scorpion is in focus and your scorpion is outside the depth of field. You would also benefit from adjusting levels as all digital cameras, even the most professional models will produce flat results compared to pro revesal film. Your colours will jump with levels adjustment.

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It seems from your picture and the websites picture you purchased from that these guys are rather "blah" looking, for lack of better words.

Mine were collected and sent from central Arizona and have much brighter colors and distinct patterning. I'm curious where they were collected from, maybe its a geological attribute or maybe something else.:?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/ead063/Vaejovis/Vspinigerus2.jpg
Yes... they are rather plain, but are also from Arizona. I would guess that with the company based there, they were also collected locally. Maybe the distinctive colors and patterns are different due to different sex?

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you would benefit from learning how to focus the camera. I dont know what sort of camera it is, but it seems to focus quite closely, as some of your dirt just behind the scorpion is in focus and your scorpion is outside the depth of field. You would also benefit from adjusting levels as all digital cameras, even the most professional models will produce flat results compared to pro revesal film. Your colours will jump with levels adjustment.
Yeah, a bit more knowledge on the camera would deffinitely work to my advantage. It's a Kodak 3.1 megapixel and is my first digital camera. I'm still getting the hang of it. Any tips? I have the quality set to best and I took the pics on the "close" setting... for 2 ft away or less. I've the out of focus problem a few times. Same settings but some things come out blurry when others don't. If I snap my T.'s on the same settings the don't come out blurry at all but scorpions always do for some reason. I'm confused lol :? :wall:

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Which model of Kodak 3.1MP is it, I think they made/make various models at that resolution. The quality is fine, it's mainly the focus. Doesnt it have an LCD viewfnder to check focus before shooting. Does it have manual over ride for focus? Sometimes in low light some cameras have difficulty obtaining focus, maybe your T's are better illuminated. Possibly use a torch to focus on the scorpion for a focus aid. Little bit of camera movement in some too, which indicates a very slow shutter speed..which means you need more ambient light or use flash, but flash can be difficult to get good shots with.

Download the imaging software GIMP2 its free and very powerful. It has levels adjustment.

That last shot is a ripper....well done! Shows the scorpion very nicely.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
if you have a desk lamp you can use that to increase the light therefore reducing shutter speed and giving a better shot

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Which model of Kodak 3.1MP is it, I think they made/make various models at that resolution. The quality is fine, it's mainly the focus. Doesnt it have an LCD viewfnder to check focus before shooting. Does it have manual over ride for focus? Sometimes in low light some cameras have difficulty obtaining focus, maybe your T's are better illuminated. Possibly use a torch to focus on the scorpion for a focus aid. Little bit of camera movement in some too, which indicates a very slow shutter speed..which means you need more ambient light or use flash, but flash can be difficult to get good shots with.

Download the imaging software GIMP2 its free and very powerful. It has levels adjustment.

That last shot is a ripper....well done! Shows the scorpion very nicely.
Haha thanks! I'm quite proud of the last one! The camera is an EasyShare 6340. I have noticed the flash pics come out better than those without it. I think I probably jsut have to get used to it...becoming familiar with the models quirks and stuff lol. I also noticed that on the shot of the scorpions belly for example, everything was great on the lcd finder , but when the picture was enlarged upon uploading , it came out blurry. Thanks for all the tips, (that means you too lychas)!

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oops!

Ok so being the computer genius I am, I accidentally wiped out the first set of pictures so here they are again .... oops! lol :wall:

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes... they are rather plain, but are also from Arizona. I would guess that with the company based there, they were also collected locally. Maybe the distinctive colors and patterns are different due to different sex?
No, sex is determined via pectines... but from my brood I have some light and dark colored ones, which maybe can be an early indicator to sex. I just looked up the locality, and the 2 collection areas are no more than 30-40 miles, if not less, apart.. So I don't know if locality is playing a difference here.But ill tell you what isn't good, ...the last plate on this guys back :eek: .

http://spiderpharm.com/venoms/spp/sco/vaejovidae/images/vaejovis_spinigerus_2.jpg

Also, change you label to Vaejovis spinigerus, species names is not capitalized ;)

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BTW, with Kodak, on the macro setting. You must find your target, auto focus, and slowly pull the camera back to get the subject (instead of the background) in focus, then auto focus again. It is extrememly easy once you get use to it... also note how far your zooming. There should be a line on the lcd screen which will indicate any farther will result in a blurred picture.

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No, sex is determined via pectines... but from my brood I have some light and dark colored ones, which maybe can be an early indicator to sex. I just looked up the locality, and the 2 collection areas are no more than 30-40 miles, if not less, apart.. So I don't know if locality is playing a difference here.But ill tell you what isn't good, ...the last plate on this guys back :eek: .

http://spiderpharm.com/venoms/spp/sco/vaejovidae/images/vaejovis_spinigerus_2.jpg

Also, change you label to Vaejovis spinigerus, species names is not capitalized ;)
Hmm, interesting. Maybe it can be an early indicator...who knows? By the way, all this time I've thought mine was a male from looking at pics but I couldn't find anything specifically on telling by the pectines for one of these guys. Any ideas how to know for sure? Do I count the teeth like they do in other species? And yeah, the last plate on that one's back is pretty screwy! I'm glad mine's not like that {D .

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, interesting. Maybe it can be an early indicator...who knows? By the way, all this time I've thought mine was a male from looking at pics but I couldn't find anything specifically on telling by the pectines for one of these guys. Any ideas how to know for sure? Do I count the teeth like they do in other species? And yeah, the last plate on that one's back is pretty screwy! I'm glad mine's not like that {D .
From what I know, I haven't seen other pictures but this worked for me. Vaejovis females have split pectines... \ / and males have more of a straight "V" \/

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I know, I haven't seen other pictures but this worked for me. Vaejovis females have split pectines... \ / and males have more of a straight "V" \/
Excellent ... I'll check that as soon as mine ventures out of it's hiding place, unless of course I can make it out from my pics lol. {D :D

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Excellent ... I'll check that as soon as mine ventures out of it's hiding place, unless of course I can make it out from my pics lol. {D :D
It should be very easy. Males pectines also overlap where as females have a gap.