v. spinigerus, c. gracilis maturity indicators, sexing

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hi, my v. spinigerus moulted a month or so ago and has been stuffing itself ever since... i saw it stretched out today, and was wondering if there would be any way to figure out whether it was mature or not, and also how to determine the gender!

similarly, i have a c. gracilis, never really measured it, but is about 3"+ i'm guessing. i'm fairly certain its male due to the relatively long metasomal segments. I was told it was I6 when i got it, but it hasn't moulted or even put on noticable weight in the past 3 months, so i was wondering if perhaps it was mature and how i might determine this! also, am i imagining this, or was there a phenomenon of "small males" in certain centruroides species that mature at I6?

thanks! :D
- munis

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
similarly, i have a c. gracilis, never really measured it, but is about 3"+ i'm guessing. i'm fairly certain its male due to the relatively long metasomal segments. I was told it was I6 when i got it, but it hasn't moulted or even put on noticable weight in the past 3 months, so i was wondering if perhaps it was mature and how i might determine this! also, am i imagining this, or was there a phenomenon of "small males" in certain centruroides species that mature at I6?

- munis
If its I6 its adult

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ah. how come? :? could you (or anyone else) point me in the direction of any literature on the subject?

- munis
Nope, I can only speak from personal experience here. I have been known to breed this species ya know ;)

Oh and btw, I have had males mature at I5 and females at I6

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The scorpions in Brian's picture are not C. gracilis, they are C. margaritatus

Cheers,
Ryan

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
V spinigerus, the males have true V pectines with a close to 90 degree angle. Females have a seperation in the pectines and the pectines themselves are smaller.

Ed

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The scorpions in Brian's picture are not C. gracilis, they are C. margaritatus

Cheers,
Ryan
OOOPS!!!:eek:
You are correct Ryan. I must have been getting tired when I posted that last night. Nevertheless everything would be the same for gracilis as it is for marg from husbandry to growth rate etc, etc.

Now here is a C gracilis. I used to breed them too :D