V-Horn hissers:

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does anyone keep these anymore or have they dissapeared from the hobby? If someone does keep them, are there any for sale? Thanks!:?

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been looking for them also...Double D's should have some nymphs here soon for sale... From what I've read about them, the v-horns are susposed to be one of the largest hisser sp... and the nymphs are susposed to be colorful...

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Graham

I think he has the oblingata but not the V-horns. I have kept them and they are good size but not huge. There are almost none left in the US and nobody in Europe has them so we will be lucky to ever see them for sale again.
James
www.blaberus.com

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ahhh..yes, you are probably correct... too bad they have disapeared from the hobby!

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are still around

The collector roach market vs the feeder roach market is very small. In comparision. The v horns arent any harder to breed then others. Most people who got them arent trying to breed a lot of them, so they dont have large numbers of extras. Also because the market for them is relatively limited the people who wanted them got them. After that the demand for them wasnt there. So people stopped producing them commercially, however there are still those being bred by hobbyists and others.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
How can you be so sure? That statement seems unverifiable to me. (I’m not saying you are wrong, I’m just curious about how you know this.)
That's a fair point, it's far easier to claim "someone somewhere" still has them without having any evidence whatsoever.

I know where they came from and what
'breeders' had them and none were able to get a thriving colony going (nothing to do with demand or supply).

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been looking for them also...Double D's should have some nymphs here soon for sale... From what I've read about them, the v-horns are susposed to be one of the largest hisser sp... and the nymphs are susposed to be colorful...
I was wrong- no v-horns at Double D's...

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
V-horns

Orin, is correct about this species. My website is out of date and most of mine died off. Someday someone might find more in Madagascar, but till then don't expect to see any around.
James
www.blaberus.com

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know they are gone...

Ordinarily, hobbiests that have something extremely hard to find do not keep it a secret. Though they may not openly advertise they have it, they still tell some people and word gets around; and they post the fact somewhere. I think it's rediculous to say that "the market is saturated" and "everyone who wants one has one" when I can find four dozen people who would buy groups of them today if they were available. Someone in the hobby, 'commercial' or not, 'feeder' roach or 'collector' roach "markets" (nobody does one without the other) needs to stay in contact with someone else who has the same thing to either resolve propogation issues, exchange for more viable specimens, or at the heart of the matter *trade* for something else they want more. Bug keepers never have everything they want...that's what makes the hobby go 'round.

I have posted inquiries in several countries, forums, and otherwise and even offered a cash reward, and the common response is: "Wow, I wish I could get you some V-Horns, but I don't know anyone who has them anywhere."

I doubt this is some global conspiracy to keep anyone from newly acquiring V-Horns, so they must be gone from the hobby save for one at Blaberus, 4 with Orin, and a guy in Denmark who may or may not have one or a few but can't get them to produce/otherwise get more.

Just my 2 cents.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So these were once common?

How old is Jame's female? Maybe a breeding loan could be tried as a last ditch attempt to preserve this line of the species in the hobby...but talk about genetic bottleneck!