UVA and UVB Help Please

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm getting my order ready... I've picked the cage, substrate, and a few other goodies. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this particular subject :(

I am wondering about UVA and UVB lighting... Is it necessary? Or would just a simple light source work?

I understand some species are in the sun more than others... I am getting an arboreal... so I would guess that they do spent some time in the sun, but do they need the UV? And how much of each? :?

Any thoughts or helps would be most appreciated!
Heather

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not an expert but I wouldn't mess with any lighting, if you want a heat source stick with the tried and true heat mat.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They don't need sunlight, or artificial UV light, of any sort for their overall health needs.

If you want a light on the enclosure, a simple compact fluorescent full spectrum bulb would work just fine. I've got one on my Avic. avicularia's Exo Terra cage for aesthetics and to provide the miniature mounted orchids within the enclosure some light. It provides very little or no heat within the enclosure itself.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My feeling is that it is best if there is some indirect light coming from a window so as to trigger any possible seasonal cues from natural photperiods. Beyond that, any lighting is for your benefit, not theirs, and come with issues of heat, cost, as well as potentially disturbing the animals since in nature they are not exactly diurnal.

Keep in mind that there is no firm support for even the necessity or benefit of indirect natural light, but it can't hurt anything.

goferris

Arachnopeon
from what i have read, the best light source for them is natural light so they can have some sense of day and night. otherwise having an artificial light source is just so we can get a better look at them. i wouldn't just leave it on for extended periods of time as lights can dry out the container and add excess heat. but then again i am no expert

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T's don't like light. They really don't like light directly on them, indirect light from a window is fine, or a black or red light occasionally for you to see them with, but for them, they do not need or want a light.

goferris

Arachnopeon
i should have been more clear with my post. i should have said indirect natural light is best. don't put them in your windowsill or anything.

GrofKjans

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just one question... What do you use when you are checking Ts at night? This Q is going especially for U with spider rooms. I must "disturb" their day-night cycle because I don't have one(spider room).
Sory I'm off topic, I don't know how to help on this

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
just one question... What do you use when you are checking Ts at night?
I have a tiny flashlight on a keychain, it's not *blinding* but it's plenty bright for me to do things like see whose water dishes are empty, or if the crickets have been eaten. This way I don't have to take them off their nice shadowy shelf and into the brighter light of the room just to get a good clear look at little details like that.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
just one question... What do you use when you are checking Ts at night? This Q is going especially for U with spider rooms. I must "disturb" their day-night cycle because I don't have one(spider room).
Sory I'm off topic, I don't know how to help on this
I turn the light on :)

Captive Ts adapt very readily to a wide range of external stimuli. For example, my spider shelves undergo "earthquakes" multiple times a week because they're mounted to the same wall my washing machine is against, they don't so much as huddle.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Captive Ts adapt very readily to a wide range of external stimuli. For example, my spider shelves undergo "earthquakes" multiple times a week because they're mounted to the same wall my washing machine is against, they don't so much as huddle.
Yeah I had a Rosie on a bookshelf that also housed two rats, a ball python and an active adult Leo Gecko. The Rosie never showed any signs of give'n a crap, she just went about her day (or night), always ate and so on and so on.

GrofKjans

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Me too... Don't think I bother the T with that. It don't seems like she\he don't like it. I fed it geneorusly after all :) I was just courious.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
its seems like alot more european keepers use lights for there t's.i would only use them if i had live plants in my enclosures.not to sure what kind of light is best

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This may sound dumb but T's like to go to work at night.

No light needed to get the job done.