UV lighting

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep my Emperor in a 10 gallon aquarium with some hood that houses two 40 watt moonlight lamps to make him glow. My problem is that he seems to glow dark green instead of flourescent yellow or flourescent green. How can I change the lighting to make him glow more? More watts? Does the actual UV light need to be closer to his body? Thanks

Tim

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know how to answer your question. But, too much UV exposure will hurt your scorpion. I would take the lights out unless you need to find him.

Mike

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea i've heard that. I rarely use them, usually only at night to see where he is.

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wouldn't it be better to use a red light to watch him of a night? I heard red lights don't disturb them. Wouldn't be as bad as UV atleast

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea I thought about small red lights. They make perfect little red lights which are actually for aquarium fish that would be perfect. Kinda expensive though.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Generally they just appear green, a vivid green in my experience. I think it will be okay to use the lights every now and then only for a short time, but certainly dont leave them on for very long or very often. Red is best as stated already. You need UVB wavelength lights...395nm I think is the right wavelength. Your wavelength may be a little out.

Or...you could give the scorpion shades and sun cream....and leave the uv on...:cool:

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't forget to slip on one of those ugly little sunshirts as well.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my Emperor in a 10 gallon aquarium with some hood that houses two 40 watt moonlight lamps to make him glow. My problem is that he seems to glow dark green instead of flourescent yellow or flourescent green. How can I change the lighting to make him glow more? More watts? Does the actual UV light need to be closer to his body? Thanks

Tim
The moonlight lamps I have are very weak UV lights. If you want the intense fluoresence that you see in pics you will need a real UV light (more powerful).