Uticulating hairs/Cleaned out e-Spiderworld

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Urticating hairs/Cleaned out e-Spiderworld

So I drove to Oklahoma to get a bunch of containers and all sorts of other stuff that was going to be thrown out. A lot of it is new and there is a lot that isn't new. We ended up dumping out enclosures, deli cups, and tanks. I haven't been so itchy in my life! I wasn't thinking we were going to have to dump out lots of stuff. So I wasn't prepared for so much itchiness. I am covered in hairs and its just crazy. Anyways how would you go about getting rid of the itchiness? Right now I'm using benadryl extra strength itching cream. I also tried cortizone cream like a lot of people use on here. Have any of yall been covered before and how did you go about treating it?

Thanks again John Hoke!!

-bob

Last edited:

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just fell in love with Benadryl spray. That way you dont have to get it all over your hands, and risk spreading the hairs around from rubbing the cream in.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ohh i like that idea :worship:

do they sell it at HEB?

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I take the pills, but they make you sleepy. That's a benefit for me as I have trouble sleeping. So, what I would do, if I were you is shower, spray, pop pills, sleep.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ohh i like that idea :worship:

do they sell it at HEB?
As far as I know. I found it at Walgreens after Scott and Debby raved about it during AC. Apparently you cant get it up North. They must not have as many itch creating plants and bugs as we do. {D

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i just got back from HEB.. they had it there... when i was in OK they didn't have that. i picked up some pills too so im going to sleep sound tonight :)

i hate these hairs so much. the part i hate the most is when they get in between your fingers. ahhh it drives me nuts.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i just got back from HEB.. they had it there... when i was in OK they didn't have that. i picked up some pills too so im going to sleep sound tonight :)

i hate these hairs so much. the part i hate the most is when they get in between your fingers. ahhh it drives me nuts.
they dont bother me lol even my t. blondi didintlol
so har har har itchy boy LOL
sorry.
See thats what happens when you dont stop by and take me along on your way !!! i could have saved you the itch lol

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i should have. we were going through tanks and we found a l. parahybana that was still alive! it was pretty crazy cause john was like ah i knew i lost one somewhere. haha. he had about 50 t.blondi enclosures but i wasn't about to touch those after how itchy i was. i didn't realize i had such sensitive skin though. it didn't effect my dad a whole lot though.

one thing i don't like about the Benadryl spray is that it makes you really sticky... other than that its some pretty amazing stuff

David DeVries

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you think your immune just keep handling them and cleaning cages without taking precautions. I had little reaction ten years ago. I now wear gloves and long sleeves and a few species I am thinking of only keeping in picture frames. Many people will slowly build an intolerance for the hairs over time.

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I could handle any T with only minor irritation for the 1st 5-7 yrs in the hobby, then they started to get worse and worse, now 14+ yrs into the hobby if I even open the enclosure of a T apophisys or N. vulpinus or even a large T blondi I can literaly taste and smell the hairs, I get little itches on my neck just begging me to scratch them as my neck thinks that once I tast the hairs that the chance is pretty good that my hands are already covered and it soo wants to join in the fun!!! if they dont bother you now dont write them off, they are verry intellegent and patient too boot, PEACE, B.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i will be sure to wear an NBC suit next time i do a huge amount of enclosures. ;P

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
eesh, just reading this thread makes me itch. Glad you found something that works. It should be gone after the anti itch spray and a few hot showers. I too am very sensitive to urticating hairs. T blondi....gulp...my throat is swelling.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep a few Aphonopelmas, but in general they dont flick hairs. I also have a P scrofa thats as hairy the day she molts as the day after. Ive gotten lucky. But at Arachnocon I won a juvi B emilia female. I absolutely love her, shes the prettiest T I own, but man does it itch when I open the cage. I feed once a week, so its only once a week that I have to deal with it. I also bought one of those KKs designed for holding crickets, that way I can open the side of the cage thats opposite me, and just dump a few crickets in with the little plastic tube. Makes my life so much easer.

A plus side to the plastic tube things for crickets, is that its just that much farther away I can stay from my two Andros, lol.

Tuishimi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I could handle any T with only minor irritation for the 1st 5-7 yrs in the hobby, then they started to get worse and worse, now 14+ yrs into the hobby if I even open the enclosure of a T apophisys or N. vulpinus or even a large T blondi I can literaly taste and smell the hairs, I get little itches on my neck just begging me to scratch them as my neck thinks that once I tast the hairs that the chance is pretty good that my hands are already covered and it soo wants to join in the fun!!! if they dont bother you now dont write them off, they are verry intellegent and patient too boot, PEACE, B.
I can vouch for that. I've seen him scratching. :)

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
in the 30yrs of keepin ts ive never got immune to the hairs,i just deal w/it being very careful and not to flip them off,some are worse than others,so when it's feeding/watering it's not bad i'm just careful now,and no problems:)

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Response worsened over time.

I feel for you all on the itching. When I first started collecting spiders, only a few species would bother me, and even then it was short lived. Now if I touch a T. blondi cage, I itch for days. I have to wear gloves and fight the urge to scratch my arms and neck whenever I go near them. To make matters worse, my T. blondi will flick hairs whenever I open their cages. For those of you who aren't bothered by the hairs, I am jealous and I miss the days when the hairs were not so noticeable.