Usumbara Baboon

AnimalMother

Arachnopeon
I recently acquired a Usumbara Baboon, and in the past month I have had it, It spends every moment in the top corner of the cage. It builds webs in corners, rarely comes down, and is always climbing. Should I get an arboreal cage and give it some height and a tree to climb around on, or will its personality change after the next molt?

I even made a premade burrow and put its coconut hut on top of it, and its spends no time in there at all. any thoughts?

Arachno_Shack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It may be possible that the substrate is too wet. How damp is it? I keep mine pretty dry, but I also use a water dish...Hope this helps!

-TB

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murinus is actually very wierd, and can be either terrestrial, burrowing, or arboreal. Obviously your individual likes the arboreal perspective, so I would change it's setup to arboreal.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine did the same thing. it just made a hammock in the corner and sat in it or climbed around the walls. I was going to then change her cage to an aboreal setup but the next time I looked in the cage I saw no orange spider but the top of a burrow.

They do whatever they want really. Now I never see her cause she's always in her burrow.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wouldn't change your set up too fast or maybe if you do just make it a very versatile enclosure. i have had OBT's burrow, live in their coconut huts and go aboreal on me. In fact, several of them don't necessarily keep their same habits. When i set up an enclosure for an OBT, i try to make sure there is a little something in there for whatever their mood. They're great fun though!

AnimalMother

Arachnopeon
that is cool. I will definitly change the set so it has a little of each. I didnt think of that. I'll let you all know how it goes

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, these spiders are are so cool. If you give them something to go arboreal on, there's a good chance it will take advantage of the height. Then you have a really visible T! Only drawback is that it's that much closer to the lid of the tank! I keep the hide, water, and plants all in one corner of the tank so that I can open the other end to (very quickly) do maintenance, feed etc. Attitude and speed.

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have my female setup in an aboreal setup. She made a little burrow near the base of the log in the tank and spends all day in there. At night she roams the tank. I just do any maintenance during the day to avoid complications.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It may be possible that the substrate is too wet. How damp is it? I keep mine pretty dry, but I also use a water dish...Hope this helps!

-TB
Didn't see you reply to this one, Animal Mother. How is the substrate? P murinus can live in very dry conditions and prefer it to be so. If the substrate is damp that's why your spider is climbing. If it's not damp then your spider is just being weird, which they are prone to do.