Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok well today I got my gorgeous Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus) he/she is a really vibrate orange. here is the tank..you can't see her / him because they are in the hide on the left covered with peat mosss.. I was told that these guys are semi - aboreal....How come when he tried to climb the side of the glass he was unable to? it looked like he was walking in place..

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i cant help you much on the climbing the glass thing, but i would add more substrate. I think by semi arboreal it means they might climb some bushes and stuff, i dont think they are found in trees.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a n/ c / f/ of P- MURINUS it never climbs just hides untill feeding time then its :drool: :drool: :} :} bang and thats it --- phil

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I put 16 quarts of peat moss in that 29 gallon tank that's still not enough?and it doesn't need to burrow to make a hide because I have a half log that I covered with the peat moss and made an entrance way where the hole in the log is at so basically its a pre -made burrow.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that enclosure is HUGE. go with a 10gal if you want a big enclosure.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
that enclosure is HUGE. go with a 10gal if you want a big enclosure.
That tank is too big, even for a fully grown. :D
I keep mines in a 5gal. I don't use much substrate, 2"inch is enough, IMO.
They don't burrow really deep.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little P. murinus sling thinks it's an Avic. The little sucker was climbing like mad in the plastic jar I had it in. So my boyfriend put a small branch in there for it and it webbed the whole thing up. It has tunnels running all through the web. The bad thing about it is that it kinda makes it hard to clean the debris from the jar without completely destroying the webbing.

This one is still small though, it just molted yesterday to about 1.25" I haven't really gotten a good look at it yet though. But I've heard that they have more of a tendency to climb as smaller slings so maybe it's something they grow out of as they get bigger.

~Carla~

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My little P. murinus sling thinks it's an Avic. The little sucker was climbing like mad in the plastic jar I had it in. So my boyfriend put a small branch in there for it and it webbed the whole thing up. It has tunnels running all through the web. The bad thing about it is that it kinda makes it hard to clean the debris from the jar without completely destroying the webbing.

This one is still small though, it just molted yesterday to about 1.25" I haven't really gotten a good look at it yet though. But I've heard that they have more of a tendency to climb as smaller slings so maybe it's something they grow out of as they get bigger.

~Carla~
i doubt its going to grow out of it because mine is 2.5 - 3" and it is acting aboreal right now and these are semi-aboreal tarantulas any way so...

Greyhalo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it is having trouble climbing glass and getting around then it could be in pre-molt.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
def add more substrate if it is trying to climb and is slipping some!!! you don't want it to fall and burst an abdomen!!! :eek:

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Split that beast down the middle and get a Dodoma. Both have similar care requirements, and are of the same genus. Just a neat idea imo. By the way, try drying the substrate. I did and it greaty limited these so-called arboreal tendencies. And try adding a cork half-pipe thingy and some dry wood for the badboy to web.