Usumbara babies

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone here have experience with usumbara babies? How long can I keep them in with the mother? They started emerging last Sunday night. Thanks, John

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Haven't had any experience with the babies, but I must say that that is a really nice pic. In some ways, my Usumbaras are my favourite tarantulas due to their defensiveness and webbing.

Cheers,
Dave

redbadger

Arachnopeon
Sorry.....Can't help ya...with the baby info...but I must say... that is a fine photo:cool:
Red

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Leave them in for a few weeks. This allows for survival of the fittest, its harsh, but better than polluting the blood line with small and weak specimens. After about 3 weeks, seperate them into groups of 5-10. Wait for them to molt once more, then split them up so they all live on their own.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've bred Usambara's several times. I'd say go ahead and seperate them from mom. If the cage is escape-proof for the babies, it might be easier to just set up a new cage for her and leave them be.

No big hurry to split them from each other, some cannibalism may occur, but on the whole they're remarkablly tolerant of one annother. After a month or so (or sooner if it seems like they're really chomping each other), you will probably want to split them into individual containers. This will be tricky! They are insanely fast, I suggest you do this in an open, well lit area. Keep an empty deli cup on hand to drop it over anyone who goes awol! They're very hardy, I have found that excessive wetness and poor ventilastion in the rearing container to be only thing that kills them.

Wade

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know nothing about usumbaras, but dang.. that is a Cute picture. Those babies are really really cute, what are they, 1/8 inch or so? :D

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1/4 inch? still tiny. Very cute tho. And the mother is beautiful. I don't know much about that species so I haven't considered getting one just yet. My youngest T's are about 50 days old right now.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
wow..how cool! I have a female I'm almost positive is gravid...she finally munched the male after a long period of cohabitation...
She is manically housecleaning right now, so I'm hoping that leads to an egg laying session! Then I can look forward to a bunch of little orange monsters as well :)

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Those babies look adorable! The mother is also a beautiful tarantula!
As for separating the babies, I would do it sooner than later. When I was researching breeding taranulas, I was told that if left together, when cannabalizm occurs, its usually the males that eat the females as they grow faster and are slightly larger at birth. This makes sense to me considering the shorter lifespans of the males and natures population control (i.e. more males as they have to traverse farther distances and more dangers in search of females).

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
slings

TOO CUTE ! I doubt I will ever own a sling, to afraid of killing it. Couldnt cope with the guilt ! GOOD LUCK with the kiddies tho.:cool:

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I took 40 babies out yesterday. They began their first molt on Wednesday. They turned black and grew to 1/2 inch. I got the mother out by teasing her into the corner of the pet pal then putting a smaller pet pal over her. What was interesting is that the babies are all intertwined into the webbing. Layers and layers of webbing with babies between each layer. They weren't as fast as I expected and I only had two go over the side. I worked in the bath tub and they couldn't climb up the walls. I teased each baby with a small paint brush working it into a vial. Twice I didn't get the cap on fast enough and zip...out of the vial onto my hand. Fortunately I was over the container and just shook the baby back onto the web. I managed to vial up 40 before my back gave up. Looks like there may be 30 to 40 more to go. The web is extremely sticky and its hard to separate the little guys.