using vacuum bricked peat (no charcoal)

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
recently i started using the vacuumed cocopeat brick w/out the charcoal. it has a funny smell. will it affect the T? is it deadly to the T?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Na that stuff is fine. Just double check to make sure there is nothing added chemical wise and your in the clear.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When it's wet it can smell a bit funky, but it dies down later(or atleast has for me). I wouldn't worry about it.

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i don't really soak it in water. i just pulverize it and then use it. cos i use it on brachys and grammies... thanks guys :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i don't really soak it in water. i just pulverize it and then use it. cos i use it on brachys and grammies... thanks guys :)
Haha oh that's nice. Those bricks are hard to take apart lol.

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, but i only need a little part of it cos i use it on slings. it takes time to pulverize it, but for me its better than waiting for it to dry out under the sun :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah, but i only need a little part of it cos i use it on slings. it takes time to pulverize it, but for me its better than waiting for it to dry out under the sun :)
Yeah that's true, especially during this time of NIGHT when there is no sun. :eek:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think its sunny now in the Philippines. Right? Whats the time diff there? Nevermind I figured it out. Its like 330 pm there, plenty of sun.
Mashing it must be a pain in the butt. You know you can soak it and let it expand and then bake it. That will speed things up. Plus it does not take that long for it to dry out in a tank. You might get more for your money letting it expand. No big difference ether way.
What T are you making the new tank for?

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its now 4pm. i just transfered a few 1" slings to a 2" diameter deli cup. so i needed only a little part of the brick. those were brachys and grammys sp. if i soak it then squeeze the excess water, can i use it and just let it dry in d cup with the T in it? cos brachys and grammys hate wet substrates right? maybe next time il just soak the whole brick, let it dry out in d sun then put it in a sack so il have a ready to use substrate :D

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
btw.. yeah baking it is a good idea, but i'm afraid my mom won't let me use the oven/microwave to dry out the peat :D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya you can soak it then squeeze out all the water you can. Fill your tank and let it naturally dry over the next little while. Brachs and Gramies will be just fine, they might pace a bit till its dry but it will not hurt them.

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay. thanks for the advice. but of course if i would put a slightly wet substrate i would have to punch a lot of holes on the enclosure right? so it would dry out?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I doubt it in your neck of the woods. I dont think it will take more then a week for it to dry out. And the T should be fine till then.