Using superglue?

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
So I was wondering if it's harmful to use superglue, such as using it to glue some plants in my Pokies enclosures, if so, what should I use/do?

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hot Glue is the only thing I would use. Too many chemicals and unknowns for superglue. Plus... Hot glue cures much quicker!

The Mack

Arachnosquire
I use a normal hot glue gun and the clear glue sticks from your local arts and crafts store. Give it a few hours or up to a day to dry and you'll be good to go!

I can't say whether or not the superglue is harmful to tarantulas after drying, but why take the chance?

Last edited:

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I Use:

Aquarium Silicone for decoration adhesion - I would Not use Super -or- Crazy Glue in my T environs myself.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i as well have only used aquarium silicone. takes longer to dry and smells horrible, but at least i know its safe.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used liquid nail to anchor down a pice of wood in my pink toe enclosure. It takes a long time to dry though. I waited 24 hours for it to get like rubbery and barley sticky, then I put all the substrate and everything over it, then I didn't put a T in it for almost 2 days. but for gluing stuff to wood and bark I use hot glue (I don't put the hot glue on the enclosure because its acryllic and I dont want to damage it) and I honestly don't give the hot glue 24 hours, you probably should wait, but I waited like 15 minutes for it to dry, I did it once and I didn't know I should have waited.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hot glue guns are great ! The glue dries in at least 5 minutes , isnt harmful , and holds great !

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
I was thinking about this, don't people use superglue on their T's when they're injured and bleeding? I think i've read about that before, but i'm not sure. I know i've defintiely used it on my cuts haha, but yeah, i'm not a tarantula=(

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I use superglue all the time in my enclosures.
Do you get fogging from the fumes on the surfaces?

Once cured with time I think superglue would be plenty safe.
people have used it to seal up injuries on T's.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Do you get fogging from the fumes on the surfaces?

Once cured with time I think superglue would be plenty safe.
people have used it to seal up injuries on T's.
nope.I wait a day for it too dry and loose the smell.It drys in under 2 minutes.gorilla glue is great stuff.

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo , super glue on a t wound!!!!!! no , use liquid bandaid , i heard people use superglue too, i wouldnt use it directly on a t though, robc, he uses hot glue gun in all of his videos check this link out
http://www.tarantulas.com/care_video.html
ive watched these videos about a couple of 3 dozen or so times

Rex Libris

Arachnopeon
Heh. 'Liquid Bandage' and 'Superglue' are very nearly the same thing; the former was invented because people were already using 'Superglue' as a liquid bandage. The medical grade stuff doesn't break down as quick and supposedly doesn't sting as much, and is more flexible, and doesn't get hot as it cures, but either one's safe on a surface wound.

The reason the fumes are irritating is that the stuff works kinda like a two-part epoxy, except the hardener is water. This is way cool, because it means you can use it under water, or inside a person's arteries. BUT it also means that when the fumes get in your eyes or throat the moisture there hardens them into irritating glue-grit. Possibly briefly hot glue grit if it's regular super-glue. But the stuff isn't really toxic unless you heat it up and it depolymerizes.

People use regular old 'Superglue' (or 'Krazyglue' or whatever cyanoacrylate glue brand is cheap that week) directly on live corals all the time, right in the tank next to anemones, and I suspect that those inverts are much more sensitive than a big spider.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Heh. 'Liquid Bandage' and 'Superglue' are very nearly the same thing; the former was invented because people were already using 'Superglue' as a liquid bandage. The medical grade stuff doesn't break down as quick and supposedly doesn't sting as much, and is more flexible, and doesn't get hot as it cures, but either one's safe on a surface wound.

The reason the fumes are irritating is that the stuff works kinda like a two-part epoxy, except the hardener is water. This is way cool, because it means you can use it under water, or inside a person's arteries. BUT it also means that when the fumes get in your eyes or throat the moisture there hardens them into irritating glue-grit. Possibly briefly hot glue grit if it's regular super-glue. But the stuff isn't really toxic unless you heat it up and it depolymerizes.

People use regular old 'Superglue' (or 'Krazyglue' or whatever cyanoacrylate glue brand is cheap that week) directly on live corals all the time, right in the tank next to anemones, and I suspect that those inverts are much more sensitive than a big spider.
Very interesting and informative post! :clap:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did some digging to to see if I could add clarification. The only real difference between Super Glue and Liquid Bandage is the use of alcohol as a solovent in liquid bandage to dissolve the polymer. Super Glue uses something completly different. Other than some quality control differences, they appear to be very similar.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did some digging to to see if I could add clarification. The only real difference between Super Glue and Liquid Bandage is the use of alcohol as a solovent in liquid bandage to dissolve the polymer. Super Glue uses something completly different. Other than some quality control differences, they appear to be very similar.
Actually, Liquid bandage is a blanket name for them all. Band-Aid brand liquid bandage is cyanoacrylate based. I believe the alcohol based product is Nexcare.

I was reluctant to post in this thread because of all the quick responses saying things like "to many unknowns" "I wouldn't do it" without having any real knowledge to back up what they are saying. Many don't change their opinions when additional info is put forth...ya know, the ego thing. ;) I learned in the silicone thread how many people are quick to believe a moron that glues substrate to board as "knowledge" of silicone. :rolleyes:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
;) I learned in the silicone thread how many people are quick to believe a moron that glues substrate to board as "knowledge" of silicone. :rolleyes:
I fell for that one. Lost one of my T's and the other had to be ICU'd for a week or two and still hasn't been right. Pulled all of those stupid backs and haven't had a single issue since.

But I hear ya on the superglue thing.