Using Pseudoscorpions as grain mite control

InvertsPR

Arachnopeon
Hello peeps,

So ive been thinking about using pseudoscorpions as grain mite control. These darn mites always seem to pop up everywhere! I heard pseudoscorpions eat mites and what not so i decided to give this a try. Anybody have any experience on this? roach crossing has a culture for sale that i will be getting soon.

Thank you everyone!

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I have no experience with pseudoscorpions, but I have been using schizomids for the past 6 years. Being parthenogenetic, they are... too effective.

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
Hello peeps,

So ive been thinking about using pseudoscorpions as grain mite control. These darn mites always seem to pop up everywhere! I heard pseudoscorpions eat mites and what not so i decided to give this a try. Anybody have any experience on this? roach crossing has a culture for sale that i will be getting soon.

Thank you everyone!
My friend has a S. heros, he used dirt from outside for sub but ended up with some mites. He Threw a few Pseudoscorpions in and now there are no more mites, but also all the pseudoscorpions seemed to have starved. So it seems like they are effective mite control, but if you want it to be sustainable you probably need a bioactive tank with plenty of micro fauna

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Collected and imported with permits during a research project.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have no experience with pseudoscorpions, but I have been using schizomids for the past 6 years. Being parthenogenetic, they are... too effective.
When you say ‘too effective,’ do you mean there are negative aspects that the degree of control they provide, or just that they are extremely effective?

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
Psuedoscorpions will eat the mites, but if you want them to remain alive you should introduce springtail as well. They will eat springtail and stay alive to reproduce and eat any other mites/ harmful things in your tank

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
When you say ‘too effective,’ do you mean there are negative aspects that the degree of control they provide, or just that they are extremely effective?
What I mean is that over time they consume everything. The mites, but also any helpful microfauna that breaks down waste like springtails or baby isopods. Schizomids eventually take over the substrate.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I mean is that over time they consume everything. The mites, but also any helpful microfauna that breaks down waste like springtails or baby isopods. Schizomids eventually take over the substrate.
Good to know! Thank you.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes! It’s me, Rus. And thank you @InvertsPR , for watching! I am not having any particular problems with mites, I am just fascinated with biological controls, and love to know what has been tried and how it has turned out. :)

InvertsPR

Arachnopeon
Yes! It’s me, Rus. And thank you @InvertsPR , for watching! I am not having any particular problems with mites, I am just fascinated with biological controls, and love to know what has been tried and how it has turned out. :)
No problem! I will let you know how it goes if i do!

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
gonna become a necromancer for a sec, @InvertsPR hows it going? Also, is there a faster way to eliminate mites that you know of? I have some in with my springtails and isos, and I dont want them to get added to my other invert enclosures