Using material from outside

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I have never really done this before, so I was wondering if anyone collects bark, etc. from outside, whether it is safe, and whether anyone thinks "nuking" is necessary.

Thanks a lot. Just "fact checking.":);)

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have never really done this before, so I was wondering if anyone collects bark, etc. from outside, whether it is safe, and whether anyone thinks "nuking" is necessary.

Thanks a lot. Just "fact checking.":);)
I use stuff from outside. I rinse it well and bake it at like 230 farenheit give or take for a couple of hours. Never had problems with it.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Would slow baking like that get the roach smell out of cork bark? I had to get rid of those b. lats, I just could not stand that smell. The big tub I have, I lysoled that thing and it still stinks. I just now removed the cork bark and rinsed it really well but it still smells. Is there anything to get the odor out? Do you think baking it would help?

In answer to the OP question, for my scorpions I use things from outside all the time since that is where I get them from. But I know my yard doesn't have any pesticides so branchs, rocks, etc. I just rinse off and use.

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
roaches produce oil on their bodies, prob where it from. most likely that smell aint going nowhere fast, but i could be wrong.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Make sure you nuke it in the oven. I didn't do that a while back and paid for it with parasitic mites.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I re use cork bark, the commercial stuff, by nuking it a couple of times at 700 Watt.
I took some bark from the forest last year and I baked it in the oven at 200 Celius and lower to 150 Celsius for hours, even sanded it a bit. I can use this in dry enclosures without problems, but when I this bark for tropical enclosures, it catches mold quicker than the commercial stuff....Since I have almost only tropical stuff, I'll stick to the commercial cork bark, which is cheap and re-usable.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Thanks, everyone!

@Michiel, thanks for telling me that stuff from outside catches mold faster than commercial bark. I, like you, have mostly (actually all right now) tropical species. Thanks everyone again.:)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Boil it/bake it and it's fine. I do it all the time for my avic.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, everyone!

@Michiel, thanks for telling me that stuff from outside catches mold faster than commercial bark. I, like you, have mostly (actually all right now) tropical species. Thanks everyone again.:)
Maybe I should use bark from a different tree next time. It is not in general that bark from outside catches mold quicker. Anyway, cork bark is cheap, so it is not a biggie for me.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, it depends on the type of wood/bark you're using, regardless if it's from the outside or not and I'm sure its age matters too. All that stuff you buy in stores was from the outside at one point in time anyway and I don't think anything special has been done to commercialized bark except some that have been sand blasted (not sure of anything else). I have a cork bark tree near my place that will work the same as a store bought piece is what I'm trying to say (although I'll need a chainsaw to rip the bark off--they're that tough!).

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think a few seconds in a microwave (best to make it moist first I guess) or a few minutes (again moist) in a oven heated at it's lowest setting is enough.

I used to clean wood by pouring boiling water over it and never had a problem except that I noticed that it got fungus faster. So it might be the case that sterilizing wood also breaks down the natural fungicide faster.