Using FOOD to KILL ants?!?!?

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is it possible to use things that are edible t kill ants? i dont want to use chemicals and all the various methods i have tried have failed (although they did reduce numbers for a few months). this year i have some small red/black ones, some bigger black ones and fire ants all over everywhere.

before i try the fungus that stamets has made i was wondering about things like acids. what about some kind of super citrus extract (i can make it here, so it may be strong) or vinegar. other stuff? war is upon me once again as i need to garden and i can even weed my beds without many many fire ant stings. i am not that susceptible to them, just little stinging bumps, but damned annoying!

99% ethanol alcohol was another thought as its cheap here, and evaporates. i dont mind killing everything else including plants, but it cannot be toxic to people and i dont want it to contaminate the soil or leave residues (oil based stuff is out).

thanks for any input :)

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Burn it :D
I think you could use some sticky things to catch them however those need maintaince as they produce "corpse bridges" over it so you'll have to do the "0182.Status Quo - Burning Bridges.mp3". It's one of the methods to treat pest species here in Lithuania but my guess is that all we have is just blossoms to compare with your situation...

Take care

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Make an acid treat == equal amounts of Boric acid + sugar. Sprinkle this around and you can easily eliminate your ant issues. Boric acid is generally not considered to be much more toxic than table salt (based on its mammal LD50 rating of 2660mg/kg body mass).

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i use cornmeal or other granual cereals that expand when wet bye bye ants.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just mix diazinon into some sugar.....( i know it's not a 'no chemical' way, but it sure as heck works)

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Borax + powdered sugar worked for me, also works great for cockroaches.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sparks engery malt liquor drinks slay pretty much all comers. heh.

in my ghetto apartments we had a moderate German roach problem and "sparks traps" never failed to attract and kill, in the can, 30-50 when left with the optimal 1.5" of fluid.

and i mean, *people* are supposed to drink that stuff... so it's er, well, apparently pretty freakin poisonous.

... come to think of it... my grandma told me that beer in saucers will attract and kill snails. she *says* it is because the snails get drunk and drown... but i mean, i don't *typically* consult on finer biological points, so...

edit:

oh yeah, and the borax + *powdered* sugar sounds so evil. i love it!

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
... come to think of it... my grandma told me that beer in saucers will attract and kill snails. she *says* it is because the snails get drunk and drown... but i mean, i don't *typically* consult on finer biological points, so...

As for the Beer Killing and Attracting snails, I tried it once, definatly works =P
The reason I believe it kills them is because of alcohol poisoning, Fun to watch once but mean to try again. :embarrassed:

:cool:

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
Diatomaceous earth might be an option as well. It's not food, but its non-toxic. Just use a dust mask when working with it.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If its out doors just keep pouring Boiling water for a few days. they will die that way.