Using a transparent red hide?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Would it be practical to use a transparent hide made of red plastic? It would turn all of the incoming light red, so the tarantula would think it was completely dark and you could see it and monitor it at all times. Now you won't have to go 80 quadrillion years without seeing your Pokies again.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Give it a try...report back your findings. It certainly could work. In certain areas of research scientists use test tubes and other glass containers that are brick red to reduce photo damage to various reagents.

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
I have some transparent red acrylic on the way, Moak I had the same thought last week setting up an ir camera to dvr my Haplopelmas burrowing.

I will post a pic of the enclosure when I get it cut out and glued up.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm not sure that using a barrier of color that an animal can't perceive would cause it to be blind to everything on the other side of that barrier. Even though the barrier is red, the light coming through would be different shades. For example, yellow displayed through a red filter might appear orange. Take away the red and you've still got yellow. Of course the fact that I'm colorblind would probably render my opinion worthless so pay no attention to me. I'm just very interested in this sort of thing because it's hard for me to understand the concept of color due to my flawed perception of it. Please keep this updated.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I'm not sure that using a barrier of color that an animal can't perceive would cause it to be blind to everything on the other side of that barrier. Even though the barrier is red, the light coming through would be different shades. For example, yellow displayed through a red filter might appear orange. Take away the red and you've still got yellow. Of course the fact that I'm colorblind would probably render my opinion worthless so pay no attention to me. I'm just very interested in this sort of thing because it's hard for me to understand the concept of color due to my flawed perception of it. Please keep this updated.
Well most red flashlights are just a normal flashlight with a red covering. I think the way light works is that when it passes through a red substance it just becomes that color. Think of the sun. It produces all sorts of colors, mostly white, but still multicolored, and our atmosphere turns it yellow in the day and red when it sets and rises because of the angle and increased atmosphere thickness.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Give it a try...report back your findings. It certainly could work. In certain areas of research scientists use test tubes and other glass containers that are brick red to reduce photo damage to various reagents.
You know, another thing I always wondered is whether a tarantula cares about darkness or being in a small space. Think about tarantula burrows with a viewport in the back. Light is coming through, but the T doesn't cover up the window? Maybe it's not darkness, it's just being surrounded on all sides and thus safe from an attack.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I think this would work great. All things not red would just appear black through the enclosure if I'm not mistaken. It would be a good way to observe your T without it even knowing.... sounds a little pervy when you say it like that lol.

Let us know how it turns out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You know, another thing I always wondered is whether a tarantula cares about darkness or being in a small space. Think about tarantula burrows with a viewport in the back. Light is coming through, but the T doesn't cover up the window? Maybe it's not darkness, it's just being surrounded on all sides and thus safe from an attack.

For desert dwellers, a burrow provides protection from the heat (all animals) and predators. I've seen tons of pictures of many different species, they all seem to prefer more narrow spaces than wide open. My incei for example always web up their hide if it's too wide for them.

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
Ok gang. I built a couple red ones today.

What will the experiment be, I am thinking about making a few small ones for my slings that only eat after dusk.

I also have a pair of juvy N. Chromatis that are like twins as far as feeding size and general behavior. Perhaps do a side by side and observe any differences?

Lets hear some ideas, we might actually learn something :snaphappy::bookworm::snaphappy: 20170429_120120.jpg 20170429_120149.jpg 20170429_120205.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I also have a pair of juvy N. Chromatis that are like twins as far as feeding size and general behavior. Perhaps do a side by side and observe any differences?
Amazing work as always!

I think that's the perfect species to run this experiment on. They're fairly skittish as juvies, bolting for their hide at the slightest disturbance. I'd keep their enclosures right next to each other and feed at the same time to avoid as many variables as possible.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I love you guys...awesome ideas and questions. I'm very curious how this turns out!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Ok gang. I built a couple red ones today.

What will the experiment be, I am thinking about making a few small ones for my slings that only eat after dusk.

Lets hear some ideas, we might actually learn something :snaphappy::bookworm::snaphappy: View attachment 238561 View attachment 238562 View attachment 238563
That's pretty dang cool. I didn't think you were gonna make the entire enclosure out of red acrylic, just the hide.

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
That's pretty dang cool. I didn't think you were gonna make the entire enclosure out of red acrylic, just the hide.
I can make a hide out of the scraps if you like, if you have something in mind just draw me up something, I am in a building mood this weekend.

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
Amazing work as always!

I think that's the perfect species to run this experiment on. They're fairly skittish as juvies, bolting for their hide at the slightest disturbance. I'd keep their enclosures right next to each other and feed at the same time to avoid as many variables as possible.
Thanks! You nailed it on the head with their behavior, they are like twins so I thought this would be perfect. I also have an A. Brocklehursti sling that dives for his burrow once the lights come on but will become active again minutes after being in the dark. He will be a good subject as soon as I cut out a few more sling cages.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful. You should build and sell.
Thanks Vancwa, I am not sure if I will end up building on that scale yet. I am still honing skills working with acrylic and getting a better understanding of what people want.

You people with talent and skill drive me nuts!!
Very well done.
Thank you for the compliment, however it is more cnc laser than skills. ;)